Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda?

Early last June, we spent 5 days in Stresa, on Lake Maggiore. Despite arriving on the first day of the most severe heat wave to hit Italy in 60 years, we had such incredibly serendipitous experiences, that it ended up being one of our most memorable trips.

This year, we would like to spend 5 days on Lake Garda. We are trying to decide which town/where to stay. After spending 5 days in Stresa, we learned that we prefer to stay in smaller, more quaint towns. For example, if we ever return to Lake Maggiore, we would like to stay in Connobio.

We would appreciate any suggestions of smaller, less touristy towns on Lake Garda, and also lodging recommendations. (Roberto, are you reading this?) ;) I’ve read some of the past posts regarding Lake Garda, however, many of them are more than two years old. (A lot can change in a few years!) Also, we will have a car. So driving up North isn’t a problem.

Grazie Mille!

Posted by
16765 posts

While you are waiting for Roberto to respond, I will suggest Malcescine, a small town on the east side of the upper lake.

https://www.visitmalcesine.com/en/malcesine

I saw a photo of the town, with the castle in silhouette against the lake and mountains rising beyond, on the cover of a guidebook (aptly named "Italian Lakes Nd Mountain") and got that "I want to go THERE" feeling. We did, and we're not disappointed.

The town has an old section by the castle, with winding cobblestone streets, surrounded by a more modern area with hotels, etc. Monte Baldo rises 5000 feet above the town, and you can ride the cablecar up for fine views and walking. Or hike up ( we did, most of the way) and ride down.

The north lake area is a magnet for windsurfers and other adventure-seekers, and you may hear more German than Italian spoken.

Next time I would chose Hotel Castillo, right on the lake below the castle.

This is the book, now quite out of date, but you can see the photo.

https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Mountains-Florence-Signpost-2002-04-08/dp/B01F7Y30V4/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Italian+Lakes+and+Mountains&qid=1578670805&s=books&sr=1-4

Posted by
69 posts

Thank you, Lola! I know that “I wanna go there!” feeling!
There are so many little towns around the lakes......It’s difficult to know which one to chose. I sincerely appreciate your recommendations, including lodging!

Felice Anno Nuovo!

Posted by
16765 posts

I recommend a town with a ferry dock ( Malcescine has one) for getting around. I have read that driving can be tedious in summer due to crowds. We were there in April so it wasn't bad, but with only two full days we felt no desire to leave Malcescine.

Posted by
2348 posts

hey hey karen
few years back we stayed at hotel nettuno in bardolino. it was right on the lake with a pathway to walk to the small village. we were there end of sept/first of oct for their annual wine festival.
lake garda is gorgeous with lots to do, lots of different towns along the lake, as lola states stay at a town that has ferry dock.
crowdedplanet.com/things to do in lake garda, listed are the towns and a little about them.
santuario basilica madonna della corona near mt baldo, further north
we also had lunch at a small cafe in peschiera del garda, cute town at the bottom of lake and near station.
wanting hotel or apartment, staying in one place, budget in euros, is "we" just 2 people?
i'm sure roberto will come along with his input here. you will love this area, so glad to see you going here. we met people from germany, switzerland, austria and england. enjoy
aloha
GO NINERS!!!

Posted by
15441 posts

If you stay on the northern half of the lake, you can’t go wrong with any location. On the south side Sirmione is pretty but very touristy.

The issue may be finding accommodations if you go in peak season. Lake Garda is the most popular lake in Italy and it’s often referred to as The Germans’ Sea from the number of Teutonic visitors who descend on the lake from across the Alps.

I personally like best (not in any particular order):
Limone
Tremosine
Gardone Riviera
Malcesine

Tremosine is on the Lake, but more precisely over the lake
https://images.app.goo.gl/5Wkv8qUVi7LP2G2e8

I mentioned it anyway because you mentioned you liked Cannobio so you’d probably like Tremosine too, as you can see below.
https://images.app.goo.gl/9ggnPACQrGB2c3E1A

The road to a Tremosine is not for the faint of heart. Do a Google Image search after entering “Road to Tremosine” aka “Strada della Forra” or SP38, and you will know why Churchill called it the Eight Wonder of the world. (There are other ways to get there, but if you have a car, the strada della Forra is a “must drive”).

Posted by
374 posts

I've only been to Nago di Torbole, which is right at the north end, and absolutely loved it. We stayed at the lovely Hotel Lago di Garda, and had one of the rooms with a deck overlooking the lake, and a private hot tub on the deck. Can't wait to go back. Google it-- words just don't do it justice.

The town is a bit on the touristy side, but from what I saw last May, the tourists are mostly people from Germany there to do sports (wind surfing, sailing, mountain sports).

Posted by
69 posts

Thank you EVERYONE for your very insightful suggestions......We’re really looking forward to exploring the area. Hoping that June 1-5 isn’t too crowded yet!

Princess Pupule. - We are Niner Faithful.......GOOOO NINERS!!!👍🏽☺️🏈🏆