Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda

Hi, our family is staying in Sirmione 4 nights starting Aug 8th. We will have a rental car but prefer not to use it while in sirmione. Any quaint towns worth visiting by boat on the lake? Limone Sul Garda? Boat rides under 90 min?

Posted by
15874 posts

Malcesine and Limone (my top choices on the lake) but also Riva, Gardone, Garda, Salò.

If you have a car you should use it however. For example Tremosine (a town on top of the hill with gorgeous lake views) and the Strada della Forra (a road through a gorge), require a car to be seen. Also the lake is long and going from Sirmione (in the south) to those towns in the north, takes too long.

I would take the time to drive on the western shore at least once to visit Tremosine, the Forra road, and also Limone. Then another day you can drive the eastern shore to Malcesine and maybe try to take the gondola up to Monte Baldo to see the view.

If you want to experience a boat ride you can travel from Sirmione to Garda or Salò, which are midlake and therefore the boat ride wouldn’t be as long.

Sirmione can be seen in two hours. You will be paying close to $100/day to rent a car, use it!

Posted by
375 posts

Torbole and Riva del Garda at the north end of the lake are jaw dropping gorgeous.

Since I've been to Garda, there is a flat walking and cycling path built along the lake that sounds amazing. Not sure where it starts or ends, but if you're interested you can google it.

Posted by
1371 posts

Combine Bardolino and Garda. Take the boat to Bardolino, walk along the lake to Garda (use google maps to find the start of the walk path, it's not obvious) and take a boat from Garda back to Sirmione.