Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda

We'd like to go to Lake Garda from Verona for a couple of days, but RS and other guidebooks ignore it. Does anybody know if there are trains? What towns they go to? Good hotels? I'm flying blind here. Have tried RS and three other books without much luck.

Posted by
348 posts

We stayed in Sirmione, near the old castle. I willtry to find the name of the hotel we stayed at

Posted by
1201 posts

Lago di Garda is the largest lake in Italy. A very lovely area, not particularly on the main radar for most vacationing Americans. Most of the tourist we ran into were German, Dutch or English. The lake has basically two rail connections at the base, Peschiera del Garda and Dezensano del Garda. Most of the rest of the towns bordering the lake are served by either the lake ferries or bus service. I'll give you four suggestions for a couple of days visit, I'd base in one. You can google them to get ideas about the towns. We are very partial to Sirmione at the south end of the lake. If you stay there, pick a hotel within the old part of the city at the end of the peninsula on the other side of the "drawbridge" Lots of good restaurants and things to see as well. The other three are on the eastern shore, Bardolino and Torri del Bennaco are the closest to Verona. Also look at Malcesine. All three should have bus service from Verona or you could take the train to Peschiera and ferry to them or bus.

Posted by
174 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did wake up and Google after I asked the question, but the personal response is much better. I'll check on bus service from Verona to Sirmione--as elders we don't want to haul our small suitcases on too many modes of transportation.