Please sign in to post.

Lake Garda

Has anyone spent time in Lake Garda? We are planning to visit Sept 2025 after hiking the Alta Via 1. I noticed Rick's book doesn't mention Lake Garda so I am in need of some advice. Is it worth visiting? Where to stay? Do we need a car or can we use public transport? Thanks!

Posted by
15939 posts

I prefer the north side, near the mountains. Any town around there will do: Malcesine, Limone, Riva, are probably the most popular. Unfortunately the railway serves only the flatter south lake ( Peschiera and Desenzano), but there are plenty of buses (and ferries) that serve the north side, so a car is not mandatory. But if you have a car for the Alta Via you can keep it, that way you can drive through the Strada della Forra (Forra Gorge Road), which is pretty spectacular.

Posted by
1379 posts

We always stay on th east side between Bardolino and Garda, partly because it is convinient to have two towns to visit and partly for sentimental reasons. It was the first place I visited in 1979 on my first motorcycle vacation :-)

Even when we go there by car we use the ferries to get around - to us the ferry trip is part of the experience, not just transport.

Your Mileage May Vary

Posted by
17284 posts

We visited Desenzano del Garda for 2 nights each in September 2022 and September 2023. And we just returned from a hiking-focused trip that included 5 nights at Lago di Garda before heading to Lago Maggiore. We spent 2 nights at Salò and 3 in Malcescine, traveling from Desenzano on the train line between Milan and Verona to Salò by ferry, then from Salò to Malcescine also by ferry, then a private driver to Verona train station for the train to Milan and Lago Maggiore.

Malcescine is a lovely little town that offers great hiking on Monte Baldo, which can be accessed by a cablecar from the town.

https://www.visitmalcesine.com/en

Malcescine has a lovely cobbled oldtown area but it is packed with tourists. We loved our hotel Venezia which was just outside that area, right on the lake. You can read my review in that section of this forum.

Coming from the Dolomites, you could leave the train at Rovereto and either take the bus to Riva and ferry from there, or have your hotel book a private transfer for you.

Posted by
2395 posts

hey hey jblair1432
several years ago, we drove from venice to bardolino lake garda for their annual wine festival (visitbardolino.it festa dell uva 0ct 3-7, 2024). it was fabulous, eat drink and be merry with local bardolino wine. don't know when in september you'll you're planning on being there. we went on sunday for the grand finale and fireworks over the lake. we did stop in pescheira del garda for lunch in the center plaza and head back to venice for our greek island cruise. i would go again in a minute and see more of the lake, it's gorgeous.
we stayed at hotel nettuno, right on the lake with a platform for ferries and pathway to festival. you've got info for the northern part which i haven't been. if you have a car, keep it. easier to travel around, bus service will take more time but do plan to ride the ferry.mall villages around the lake, parking may be an issue and check for ZTL zones, make sure you have and IDP (AAA.com/IDP) to travel in italy (good for a year, $25 with passport size photos, get same day)
just some info and ideas for you to check out and if anythings interests you. many people we saw were germans/austrians, with many going to lake como but since more travelers going there with the crowds, people are traveling to other lakes
rossiwrites.com/best towns lake garda
earthtrekkers.com/best things to do on lake garda
discovernorthernitaly.com
15 best lake garda towns & prettiest villages
italymagazine.com/madonna della corona church
a beautiful church built into the mountainside. an older article about this gorgeous church
lakegardatravel.net
getyourguide.com/lake garda
lots of different guided tours of the lake. we have used them within other cities in europe and never had an issue with them.
it's your decision what you're looking and hoping for to see and do. enjoy your time there
aloha

Posted by
46 posts

Jblair,
Sirmione was great to stay on in Lake Garda. Definitely worth visiting. My Dads Italian friend (who was born in Vasto, Italy) recommended. Great restaurants and great hotels. Ruins to visit too.