Please sign in to post.

Lake Como Week of October 13-20, 2019

Hello All

Looking for some guidance. I have been provided mixed messages regarding traveling to Lake Como in October.
Some sites indicate that it's a wonderful time to go b/c we are missing all the crowds (which is great for us).
Some sites indicate that things get very quiet, restaurants close and some places to visit also close.

The inconsistency is what is troubling me. In addition, the weather, I am told, is colder (50-60's) which is fine during the day if it's sunny. Some comments indicate that it rains a lot in October and that is not good for us. I know that no one can predict the weather. However, if I can get guidance on the other questions, it would be most appreciated.

Posted by
439 posts

Not that it's a definitive answer, but I notice that the Best of Italy tours, which start in Varenna on Lake Como, have tours starting as late as October 16th this year. So some things may close, but I don't think it would be totally dead at that time or they would probably not be running the tour that late in the year.

That said, when we were on that tour at the beginning of October a couple years ago, they had just changed to the fall ferry schedule on October 2nd, so there's definitely a "change" of some sort at that time of year. What you might want to do is figure out what sights you want to see and check their schedules to see when they close for the season. Ditto with hotels and restaurants. Most places have websites, plus I know there's schedule information in the Rick Steves books and other travel guides which should at least give a general idea of whether they close by mid-October.

We did have one of our two days of rain on the tour when we were at Lake Como, but it wasn't heavy or steady. We ate lunch outside in Bellagio, and took a long walk on that day. Mostly it was waiting for the ferry and the ride back to Varenna that was "wet". We choose October for our tour because the weather seemed to be neither too hot nor too cold, and the average number of days without rain (in Milan anyway) was 23, so that was a 3 to 1 ratio of non-rainy weather. Another website for Lake Como itself shows an average of 12 rainy days in October, but as you said, no one can predict the weather. We were very lucky the year we visited as I expected more rain than we experienced.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Some sites indicate that it's a wonderful time to go b/c we are missing all the crowds (which is great for us).
Some sites indicate that things get very quiet, restaurants close and some places to visit also close
The inconsistency is what is troubling me."

As I see it, those two statements are not inconsistent at all. If a place that depends on tourist crowds much more than locals is "out of season" and less crowded, it's totally logical and expected that not all of the restaurants and other places will be open.

The question is, what is the best balance for you? Is there a particular restaurant you want to go to that will be closed when you are looking to visit, or will you find acceptable alternatives? Will it bother you more if a place feels "too quiet" or "too busy?"

There are no right or wrong answers, but is is important to take the trip that will fulfill your personal preferences in these areas. A coworker unwittingly went to a beach resort at the end of the season, and she was unhappy at the lack of "excitement" and busy-ness. Others would love it.