Please sign in to post.

Lake Como vs Lake Garda

Hey Guys....if you had a chose between Lake Como or Lake Garda....which one would you pick....I have only two days to spend at either one and just want to enjoy some lake time and hiking....We are planning to in Sept....I have about 150E per night for logding....is one more exspensive than the other....any suggestions..... and which place to stay with good simple views.... thanks shawn

Posted by
10248 posts

I haven't been to Lake Garda yet, but Lake Como was great. We stayed in Varenna In September 2010 and paid 73€ per night at the Orange House. If you are planning to go THIS September you might have problems finding budget accomodations as you have waited a bit long.

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Shawn,
Never been to Lake Como...been to all the other lakes though. Como is more expensive. (must get to Bellagio one day) We stayed at Hotel San Marco on Lake Garda in Pescheria del Garda. www.hotelsanmarcopescheria.it Check out booking through them or the many other sights and read reviews. We ended up going with hotels.com and paid $140 USD for a lake view room for our family of four. They are on the lake...nice walking path..able to walk into town, take boat to Sirmione and a few other towns. Can walk from train station but very hot in July and younger children so took taxi for about 10E. Pescheria is located on the south end closer to Verona, about 10 minutes by train(or their is a bus) First time for us to this area and I fell in love with it! Can't believe I have never been here on my previous 9 trips to Italy! I discover something new each time.

Posted by
11613 posts

You will have more price choices in Como itself, and still be able to take the ferry or bus to better hiking places. You can check booking.com or venere.com for places in your price range. I stayed in a simple hotel near the train station (no views) for about 70 euro single with bath and breakfast, but I think you're looking for more of the total lake resort experience (there's Hotel Metropole right on the lakeshore but I'm not sure of their prices.

Posted by
7737 posts

It depends on how you feel about Germans. :-) Garda is a favorite German summer spot. There's good hiking around Malcesine on the east side, including Mt. Baldo. Lake Como is more romantic than Garda. Varenna is Rick's favorite town to stay in. (He warns against the town of Como itself as being pretty ugly, esp. compared to the other towns.)

Posted by
87 posts

Ciao Shawn, We've been to Lake Como twice and Lake Garda once we are however returning to Lake Garda this Sept. Regarding Lake Como; Lake Como is for romantics with beautiful gardens and many splendid lakeside mansions. With the exception of riding my bike up to the Madonna de Ghisallo high above Bellagio, people just seem happy enjoying a drink or a meal lakeside. Nothing wrong with that! We stayed at Hotel Cipressi on our first trip and on our second we rented an apartment. On the other hand, Lake Garda (particularly the northern part of the lake) is a very sports minded area, with abundant windsurfers, road and mountain biking and climbing. This year we will be renting mountain bikes and riding the "Ponale". The Ponale is an old road that was built in the 1800s. It was abandon and now its a managed multi-use trail that takes hikers and cyclists high above Lake Garda with many dramatic views. There apparently numerous trails. On our first trip we stayed one night in Sirmione. On our up coming trip, we'll be staying 2 nights in Riva del Garda and one night in Sirmione. Which ever lake you choose, I'm certain that you'll have a good time, as both lakes have so much to offer. Cordiali Saluti,
David

Posted by
1 posts

Shawn, Lake Como is narrower and less developed for the tourist trade. It is best for pleasant strolls through the towns alongside the lake and for visiting beautiful villas. It is also close to Milan's Malpensa airport - if you are arriving/leaving from there. Lake Garda is much bigger and offers more expansive views. It enjoys daily morning and afternoon breezes. It offers a greater variety of activities - water sports, Roman ruins, castles, lovely lake promenades, hiking/moutain biking, etc. It is more geared to tourists but not in a bad way. The towns are really lovely. A couple of hotels to consider there are the Hotel Gardesana in Torri del Benaco and the Hotel du Lac in Gargnano. Cheers!

Posted by
171 posts

I visited Lake Como a couple years ago and really liked it. I stayed in Bellagio. It is a very lovely town and nice to explore. With only two days, you won't be able to do a whole lot in either Lake area. I took the boat from the town of Como to the town of Bellagio.

Posted by
527 posts

Varenna is the place for you. We stayed at the Eremo Gaudio with great views. Trail up to the castle and other villages is accessed right from this place. Eremo ought to run you about 120.00 Euro. Splurge one night and have dinner at La Vista in town. GREAT FOOD!!! Dinner at the Gaudio is reasonable and the view is the best!!

Posted by
906 posts

Lake Como, hands down. More picturesque and more mountains. However, there are some special places on Lake Garda, such as Sirmione. If you choose Garda go there.