Please sign in to post.

Lake Como, Italy

We are traveling to N. Italy in early September and traveling by train. We would like to visit gardens at Villa Carlotta and Villa del Balbianello on Lake Como. We would greatly appreciate advice on best town and place to stay with reasonable access to both places. Any other tips for the lake visit would be welcomed.Thank you!

Posted by
11405 posts

Any other tips for the lake visit would be welcomed.

How many nights will you be there?

Posted by
11361 posts

Stay in Bellagio and take a ferry across the lake. Or stay in Mennagio or Cadenabbia, both on Lake Como’s west side closer to the sites you wish to visit.

Posted by
5063 posts

If you're coming by train , Varenna is the easiest. However, this is a very busy season, and lodging is in short supply, and expensive. That may dictate where you stay . You can get to either villa from all these towns, as the ferries have frequent stops in this Middle Lakes area.
Personally, I thought that Balbianello was more impressive, inside and out. It's also fun to take the inexpensive motorboats from the ferry landing to the villa.
The inside of Carlotta was not that interesting to us.
Just wander, ride the ferries, relax, and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I feel the shops in this area have more locally- created and unique items.
Safe travels!

Posted by
11405 posts

We will be there 2 nights.

OP sent me a PM.

Thought it would help folks answer the "any other tips.." request by OP to know how much time there is to fill.

Posted by
139 posts

We stayed in Varenna at Hotel du Lac twice - and want to go back. We LOVED Varenna and Como. Took a fun cooking class there. Taking the boat to different areas of the lake is just a must!

Posted by
5063 posts

Another vote for Hotel Du Lac- great views and service, safe travels!

Posted by
30 posts

Joe, Suki, Pat and Marna,

Thank you so much for all your replies. We will use each and every one of your suggestions in our planning.

Please know how much we appreciate your knowledge, time, effort and understanding!

Cathy