Please sign in to post.

Lake Como in October

Your past advice has been so helpful, I have 1 other question: Is it too cold to go to Lake Como in late October? Will ferries, shops and hotels still be open? Will we be the only people there?

Posted by
401 posts

Where are you planning on going? Lake Como is a big area, and Como itself is a good sized town. The area is pretty heavily populated, so yes, shops, restaurants, and hotels will be open. It isn't like going to some seaside resort in October. It will be too cold to swim, but it won't be too cold to walk around or go sightseeing. You will most certainly NOT be the only people there, especially on a Sunday.

Posted by
12 posts

We were planning on staying in Bellagio so hopefully it will be good weather for sightseeing and shopping.

Posted by
582 posts

I know I'll be going to Lake Como when on my Milan trip in November. I'm bringing the longjohns!
The town of Como, from what I've heard is not that nice. Rick Steves says that the train stop after Como is much prettier, so I'll go there. I just have to pull out his book and look up the name of the place since I forgot. Como is apx. 40 minutes from Milan, and the next stop is one hour from Milan. Not a bad day trip!
I need to be in Milan for business, so I'm adding some pleasure trips. Lake Como should at least look beautiful in the fall, but will be colder yet when I go!
Happy Travels!
Lisa P.

Posted by
10344 posts

Lisa: I think you mean Varenna, and if you do, note that it's not the next train stop after the town of Como. You won't go through the town of Como if you're going from Milan Centrale to Varenna. Rick explains in detail in his Italy book how to get to Varenna from Milan's Centrale station.

Posted by
401 posts

Just wanted to add that the town of Como (despite of what RS may say) IS a nice town. It has a lovely historic center, a must see Cathedral, and it sits right on the lake. On Sundays people flock there to take a passeggiata with their families. True, it has a busy ring road, because it is an large town with industry and schools and people, but it is certainly worth seeing.

Posted by
632 posts

I have to agree with Claire. After spending 3 wonderful days and two nights in Bellagio, I can truly say, it is a wonderful postcard town...Como, on the other hand is a vibrant small city with lots of different things to do beside just "kick back and relax"...as is true of most Italian towns, participating in the passeggiata makes you feel you're a part of something bigger than just
"sightseeing".