Please sign in to post.

Lake Como ferry question

Is it better to stay in Como and travel to other parts of the lake by ferry, or stay in the central part of the lake?

Posted by
1018 posts

We've done both staying in Como and Varenna. Both places were nice and we enjoyed ourselves. Although, our room in Varenna faced the lake and offered nice views.

We toured the lake from both places and each time was very pleasant, so I guess I'm not too much help.

Lately, I seen posts concerning personal safety in Como, but cannot substantiate the reporting. Varenna is much smaller and still very welcoming, so maybe I'd give the thumbs up to Varenna. We stayed at the Hotel Olivedo, which is located directly in front of the navetta, ferry, dock.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
509 posts

Not sure if there are good reasons to stay in Como; others will hopefully comment. We stayed in Varenna a few years ago. I think the reasoning was easy rail connection from/to Milan; central location on the Lake; and probably somewhat cheaper lodging than Bellagio. The boats are frequent, reasonably priced and a fun way to get around. Varenna had a handful of excellent restaurants, was quiet in the evening, and suited our purposes. My recollection is that the boat ride to the glitz, shopping, etc. in Bellagio was 10 - 15 minutes. We enjoyed our stay at the Villa Cipressi Hotel in Varenna. http://www.hotelvillacipressi.it/en/ A room with view, perhaps balcony, on the Lake side is worth the upcharge.

Posted by
365 posts

We took the ferry from Varenna to Como last fall, 2 1/2 hrs each way unless you can catch the fast ferry. Not sure when they run. Although Como is larger & there was more to do, it felt more like a regular town. You don't experience the majestic mountain views of the mid lakes.

Posted by
15868 posts

Stay in the midlake.
I'm in Menaggio, which I prefer to Varenna (way too many Americans carrying Rick Steves' books), or Bellagio (too many people of any nationality). There are also many other villages besides the afore mentioned famous three.
Varenna and the Eastern shore in general has the advantage of having train service. Menaggio has the advantage of being next to where Mussolini and his mistress were captured and executed. I like to see historical sites of where bloody dictators finally meet their Maker.

Posted by
1540 posts

Buy an all day ferry pass and your can hop-on and hop-off at all the stops - enjoy a short visit, a picnic, walk around.
We did this on our RS tour....