Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

I have 1.5 days in Milan in September and would like to visit Lake Como one full day. Any suggestions for the one full day? I've read that Bellagio is a pretty place but getting to and fro by boat would use up most of the time. We will be taking the train in the morning and be back in the evening. Thank you.
Sammee

Posted by
32212 posts

Sammee, The easiest and quickest option is to take the Regionale train from Milano Centrale to Varenna-Esino (1H:03M). When you arrive in Varenna, walk down the hill to the Ferry dock. Board the next Ferry and you'll be in Bellagio in about 20 minutes. Be sure to have a look around Varenna also, as it's a beautiful small town. I always enjoy the walk from Albergo Olivedo along the lake to the main part of town (there's a nice walkway that follows the lake). I've taken day trips from Milan to Varenna, and it's really very easy. On the way back, you may want to stop for a fine meal at Albergo Olivedo before returning to Milan (they open for dinner at 19:00 as I recall). I'd suggest buying tickets in both directions in Milan, as the small station in Varenna is not always staffed, and the ticket Kiosks may not be in "working condition". Happy travels!