Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

Mid October traveling from Milan to Tremezzo. Does a train go from Milan to Varenna at that time of year? I could not locate the station name to plug it in. What is the Italian train web site? Only used DB Bahn for Germany. Once in Varenna does the ferry run regularly mid October? How do you get from train station in Varenna to ferry? Looking at Grand Hotel Tremezzo. How do you get from the ferry dock in Tremezzoand to the hotel, and is it a good place to stay a couple of nites?

Posted by
32212 posts

Connie, As Claudia mentioned, it's very easy to find the details on travel from Milano Centrale to Varenna-Esino on the Trenitalia website. The trip is 1H:03M via Regionale train (DON'T forget to validate your ticket in the yellow machine or you may face a hefty fine). The train goes through a tunnel just prior to arrival in Varenna. Be sure that you're familiar with releasing the door and BE READY to disembark, as it doesn't stop for long! There may be Taxi's waiting at the station, but if not it's an easy walk to the Ferry dock (after all, it's all downhill). Look for the bright yellow facade of Albergo Olivedo, as the Ferry dock is right in front of that. The trip from Varenna to Tremezzo will vary from about 26M to 40M, depending on whether you connect with a regular boat or an Aliscafo (Hydrofoil). You'll pay a higher fare for trips on the fast boats, but it's not much more. Yes, I'm sure Grand Hotel Tremezzo would be a very comfortable place to stay for a couple of nights. That's way above my price range! I don't know how far the Hotel is from the Ferry dock, but with a Hotel of that calibre I'm sure they would send a Mercedes Limo to pick you up if you called them from the dock. I have very little information on the town of Tremezzo, so don't know what type of activities are available there? Did you consider staying in Varenna? It's perhaps a better location for making day trips around the lake to Bellagio or Menagggio, it's a wonderful smaller town and it avoids a Ferry ride to the Hotel. For lodgings there you might have a look at Albergo Milano (Book WELL in advance) or Hotel Royal Victoria (watch the Hotel Video for a nice view of Varenna). Happy travels!

Posted by
8680 posts

The actual station name in Varenna (on the Trenitalia/Ferrovie dello Stato system) is Varenna-Esino. From the train station walk down the hill to the ferry. About 10 minutes. Ferries were running in Dec so can't imagine they wouldn't be running in October. Then again I'm still waiting for a package of my clothes I sent home from Varenna in 2009. Hopefully, the ferry system is better run than the postal service. http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_illago.html Click on Varenna.
Might be too early to get fall timetable though.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for your detailed response. If there is a better Villa in Bellagio please recommend. Not locked into Tremezzo. Want a nice upscale visit with a reasonable price tag. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for all the great tips. Happy traveling.

Posted by
32212 posts

Connie, If you want an "upscale" Hotel in Bellagio, I'm sure you'd be VERY COMFORTABLE at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni. That's another one that's WAY above my price range! Travel to Bellagio is an easy 20-minutes (or so) on the Ferry from Varenna, and you can walk from the Ferry dock to the Hotel (depending on how much luggage you're hauling). As I recall, you'll need to turn left at the end of the dock and walk through the town to reach the Hotel. Cheers!

Posted by
22 posts

Thx. ken, I can always count on you for the answers:)