Please sign in to post.

Lake Como Area

We will be staying in Varenna in October. We plan to spend 2 nights. Part of the first day will be spent traveling from the Milan airport. Should we add another day for sightseeing? Any suggestions of what sites we should not miss?
Kathy

Posted by
1446 posts

We were there last Sept & had the same amount of time as you. We felt that 2 nights was enough. We just took the ferries around the mid-lake area (Bellagio, Menaggio, etc.). Nothing major to see...we just enjoyed walking around, taking pictures & staring at the lake from our balcony. Varenna is really relaxing. Have you reserved a hotel yet? We stayed at Albergo Milano & loved it. We got a room with a lakefront view & it was wonderful.

Posted by
320 posts

I loved the tour at Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio and Villa Carlotta near Tremezzo. In Varenna, the hike up to the castle is well worth it for the views over the lake.

I assume you are planning to travel by train from the airport, but you might consider taking the train to Como city and then a ferry up to the mid-lake area. It takes longer, but gives you an opportunity to enjoy beautiful views on the lake. The dock is an easy walk from the train station.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you for your responses. We are planning to take the train from Milan or a bus from Malpensa to Como and the slow boat to Varenna. And, yes, I have contacted a hotel in Varenna.
Kathy

Posted by
277 posts

Definitely hike to the castle. The views are unparalleled. It is a good hike, but worth it. Jeff

Posted by
15 posts

Many years ago, I visited Isola Bella in Lake Maggiore, and have beautiful memories of it. My husband and I will be staying in Varenna (at Hotel Olivedo, and have noted Laura’s mixed reviews!) and plan on revisiting Isola Bella. We’re there in early October, but read that they’re closed starting in mid-October.

Posted by
74 posts

As far as the length of stay goes, we recently spent 3 nights and felt it wasn't nearly enough time. I'd like to return to Italy if only to spend a week on Lake Como...it was so relaxing.

The castle was gorgeous, though we had a car so didn't do the hike up. We enjoyed Villa Melzi in Bellagio SO much - the gardens are just breathtaking.

And the only way we'd stay again is with a terrace room at Albergo Milano - to die for!!

Posted by
2091 posts

Kathy, if you enjoy cooking, a day with Chef Moreno is extremely enjoyable. He does most of the cooking but what a fantastic way to spend several hours! (The eating and drinking is marvelous too!)

Posted by
2876 posts

According to my wife, the best sight at Lake Como is George Clooney, but you have to get very lucky. (He has a home in Laglio, across the lake from Varenna).

Posted by
17 posts

We just returned from a wonderful stay in Bellagio.
From the Malpensa airport, we took the train to Como Nord Lago Station: www.ferrovienord.it We had to change trains in Sorronno and arrived in Como. The total trip was about 50 minutes. In Como, the bus station is to your right, the ferry is across the street and to your left. We took the ferry to get a great view of the lakeside towns: www.navigazionelaghi.it
We bought the tickets as we got there. Everything worked out well and was easy to obtain.

Posted by
60 posts

Kathy, my wife and I have made Lake Como a regular stop during our many European trips. It truely is a special place! We have stayed in Varenna but prefer splurging and staying in Bellagio. You will love staying, dining and relaxing in Varenna.
You will not regret staying three nights as there is so much to experience in Lake Como. Definately begin your visit with the slow ferry from Como to Bellagio and Varenna. It will be a European vacation highlight. Each little lakeside village will beg you to jump ship and visit!
During your stay I recommend visiting Villa Carlotta and Villa Melzi for their beautiful gardens. Include a half day in both Bellagio and Menaggio for strolling, dining, gelato and shopping!

Posted by
16276 posts

How long does the ferry take from Como (town) to Varenna?

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Kathy, I agree with Mike. My wife and I love the Lake Como area. I could sit at the tip of Bellagio and look toward the Swiss Alps for days. With extra time, Lugano,CH, is a nice option. There are lots of places in Italy "to do" great things. Lake Como is just "to be".