Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Going to be around Lake Como for a couple of days mid October. Anyones favorite location/lodging/must see and do ideas
would be appreciated.
Thanks all!

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks, Around Varenna or there abouts. We only have 11/2 days so want to see whatever we can.

Posted by
471 posts

Lake Como is beautiful and the ferries are slow. Can you squeeze out a little more time for it?

Posted by
1321 posts

Going in October I would check the ferry schedule but the mid-lake ferry will get you to the major points of interest. We prefer Bellagio over Varenna as it is a little more lively . in October I assume some restaurants might be closing for the season and some attraction might have limited hours.

Posted by
426 posts

We are in Varenna right now... very nice no signs of a slow down..ferries full...Bellagio jammed

Posted by
150 posts

Hotel Olivedo in Varenna, right at the ferry landing. We have stayed there a few times, and have reservations there again for next year. Wonderful family-run hotel and very convenient to everything mid-lake (Belagio, Menagio, Villa Carlotta, etc), also an easy ferry trip from there to either. the north or south ends of the lake.

Posted by
2199 posts

Our hotel on the RS My Way Italy tour stayed at the Hotel Royal Victoria. They have a fabulous breakfast buffet and the terrace for watching the sunset and aperitivo was glorious. Even if you don’t stay there, consider going there for a drink if the weather is nice. Villa Balbiano was closed the day we were there, but we really enjoyed Villa Carlotta. I’m sure you already know to check ferry schedules and opening hours of anything you want to see and do. Between COVID and the fall season, things can change from guidebooks.

Posted by
381 posts

Hotel Olivedo in Varenna, right at the ferry landing. We have stayed there a few times, and have reservations there again for next year. Wonderful family-run hotel and very convenient to everything mid-lake (Belagio, Menagio, Villa Carlotta, etc), also an easy ferry trip from there to either. the north or south ends of the lake.

I haven't stayed but had a spritz & a sandwich at the bar outside Hotel Olivedo a couple of days ago. Nice property, staff is very friendly and helpful

Posted by
155 posts

We’re in Varenna now and restaurants are definitely closing although there still seem to be a lot of us tourists. One restaurant near our accommodation closed Sunday night and owner said he will reopen for Easter. Ferry schedules seems to be limited but we’re going to use it tomorrow to see a number of Mid-Lake towns with the all day pass, with the senior’s reduction. A relaxing day. An acquaintance was planning on catching the 4 o’clock ferry to Bellagio to site-see, eat dinner and catch a late ferry back to Varenna.
We did the hike to Bellano today (and made a wrong turn) but due to limited Ferry schedules, took the train back to Varenna.
We’re going to Lake Maggiore in a couple of days and then Dolomites before heading home at the end of October.
We’re not trying to tick off every box, but just experience northern Italy. Enjoy.

Posted by
19 posts

Glad to hear good things about the Hotel Royal Victoria. We are leaving for Italy on Sunday and are staying at this hotel while in Lake Como.

Posted by
322 posts

We recently stayed at Hotel du Lac and also Hotel Royal Victoria in Varenna. I loved both but especially loved Hotel Du Lac. Their restaurant was fabulous and we had a really quaint room overlooking Lake Como. The people that worked there were so nice! I think at either place you cannot go wrong, but my recommendation is a lake view room at Hotel Du Lac. Enjoy!
Lisa

Posted by
30 posts

Hi All - I am planning on going to Lake Como in late March 2023. For those in the know, do you think the area would be too quiet or restaurants closed at that time? Is it a better bet to stay in Bellagio or Como over Varenna if it will be quiet/things still closed down?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

Posted by
322 posts

Also- the hike to Castle Vezio in Varenna is uphill all the way, Just a word of warning! But- the views are amazing! My photos from this part of my trip to Italy were some of my favorites.
We enjoyed taking the ferry to Bellagio- have to visit! So beautiful! We also went to Villa Carlotta on the ferry on a rainy day and it was pretty.

Posted by
155 posts

Tuesday. Weather is perfect. Blue skies and warm. Just got back to our room after stopping for 2 Aperol spritz on sale for €4.50 each, sitting on a lakeside terrace in the sun near the ferry wharf.
Ferries are running fine. As seniors, we bought a Mid-Lake Shuttle day pass for €12 each which allowed us to go Varenna - Bellagio - Villa Carlotta - Lenno - Varenna with about an hour in each. The schedule which they gave us when we bought our tickets is good for 3 Oct to 6 Nov 2022 and allowed us to plan our time.
We had dinner at Ristorante La Vista last night and it was very good. The restaurant filled up quickly before its opening time in RS book. We got there at about 6:30 and got the 2nd last table for 2 and people were being turned away.