Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel?
Most seem very expensive.
Will be there mid October 2023.
Thanks

Posted by
6287 posts

We stayed in Varenna at Orange House. It is a modest, clean and conveniently located BnB. I believe I booked thru Booking. Com or at least found it there.

Posted by
5442 posts

What is reasonable? I know this fall the demand is very high in the area, so prices go up accordingly, We loved the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna, right on the lake, and very quiet, with great service. We were just there in May.
Safe travels!

Posted by
15874 posts

I stayed at the hotel Garni Corona in Menaggio a few years ago, and it was great, I had a room with lake view. I checked prices for October and they are in the €200+ per night range. I don't think you'll find many hotels for less in October, which is very busy. Maybe you might be able to find some apartments a bit away from the city center, but then you might have to walk quite a bit to be in the middle of the action (and to get to the ferry dock).

Posted by
902 posts

Where on the lake? In Varenna, Hotel Olivedo is nice and they are relatively inexpensive. Bellagio, try Residence la Limonera. I haven't stayed, but I talked with one of the managers there last October to check the place out for future consideration. I've explored Hotel Bellavista in Menaggio as well. I would recommend.

Posted by
375 posts

Try VRBO. We had an apartment in the heart of Bellagio and it was a third or a quarter of the price of the hotels there

Posted by
8 posts

We booked Hotel du Lac in Menaggio before our RS "Best of Italy in 17 Days" tour. Seemed reasonably priced and not far from the ferry to Varenna (where the tour starts) and Bellagio (where we plan to explore in advance of the tour).

Posted by
5442 posts

Note that Hotel du Luc has a location in both Bellagio and Varenna. Can't wait to return to this beautiful area!

Posted by
32325 posts

Kay,

It would help to have some idea of where on Lake Como you plan to stay. If you're planning to base in Varenna, previous posts have provided some good suggestions.

Some that you might consider in Varenna.....

You might check the Rick Steves Italy guidebook for current recommended hotel listings. Unfortunately the hotel rates in tourist destinations often reflect demand, so travel budgets have to be adjusted accordingly.