Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

We will be in Italy in mid-late November and would really like to visit Lake Como while there. There is time on our agenda to spend 3 nights there. Is this too late to enjoy the area? We are concerned that too many places will be closed.

Posted by
10344 posts

Lake Como is a place to enjoy doing outdoor things (boating on the lake and walking in the lakeside villages) and those things, or the enjoyability of them, depends somewhat on the weather. While no one can predict the weather that far out in time, you'll be helped, in your decision about whether to go that late in the season, if you have a realistic expectation of the most likely weather that time of year, which you can get at this site http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp.

Posted by
32212 posts

Judy, Although there are no guarantees with the weather, I'd probably still plan a visit to Lago di Como (and specifically the town of Varenna). If the weather turns out to be really miserable, there won't be a lot to do in Varenna, so I'd have an alternate location planned. Milan is one possibility (tour the Duomo, Last Supper or shopping), or Florence (lots of history and Museums - good indoor pursuits). Happy travels!

Posted by
14 posts

I was in Milan last year in the 3rd week of November. Unfortunately, it rained every day, which didn't put a damper on things EXCEPT for the day I went to Lake Como. It was a little chilly in addition to the rain and I was chilled to the bone! My tour guide said this was common weather for this time of the year. I'm still glad I went, but, bring an umbrella and warm socks!.