Please sign in to post.

Lake Como 2018

This would be my second trip to Italy. This trip in taking my granddaughter & she and I would like to explore her great great nana lived. Lake Como and other places ... Don't want to stay in the large city , looking for a more quaint town, safe for the two of us. I read the driving is a bit slower pace. So I was thinking of trying this out . The first time we went on a tour I felt so uncomfortable and trapped ..
Thank you
R

Posted by
11222 posts

You felt 'uncomfortable and trapped' on an RS tour? Or was it some other tour company?

Don't want to stay in the large city

What large city are you wanting to avoid?

If you want to be on Lake Como and someplace safe and not too large, I can recommend Varenna, from personal experience. Easy access by rail from Milan and easy ferry access to other lake towns. No need for a rental car

Posted by
32892 posts

I'm struggling to think where in Italy would be unsafe for a tourist. What did you mean by "safe for the two of us"?

Is she a teenager and you are worried about the myth of Italian men chatting up pretty girls? Or are you worried about being robbed? Or a car crash?

Please help.

What other places do you want to go? Where did great great nana live?

Posted by
2476 posts

I second the notion of Varenna as I stayed there last October and found it to be small, scenic and walkable. Train from Milan makes it very accessible. Good restaurants and the ferry connecting you to the other towns. It's all easy. Villa Carlotta is beautiful to tour and has extensive gardens as well and can be reached by ferry.

Posted by
1078 posts

Not sure what you mean by "uncomfortable & trapped", I've been on many RS tours and never met anyone who felt like that? If you could be more specific I think that those of us on the forum could give you more accurate advice. I will be in Vareena in May of 2018 and everything I've read about it makes me feel that it would be "safe", and comfortable.

Posted by
370 posts

Giving more specifics about why you felt uncomfortable might help us suggest places for you and your granddaughter (and her age). Varenna is a great base on Lake Como, we stayed there 2 years ago and it's a beautiful train ride from Milano Centrale. You could use the ferry to Bellagio or other parts of the lake, take the train to various places also.

Marie

Posted by
473 posts

Another vote for Varenna. We stayed at the Hotel du Lac this past June and it was awesome.

Posted by
2 posts

No it wad not RS ....
I felt safe in Italy when I went , just forget I said that ..,
Want to go to Genoa and some town it piedmont., have to find Nanas info on the name of town, that we have family. Family I have never met.

Posted by
1321 posts

Barolo is a cute, small town in Piemonte.... but you'd need a car to get out and about. It's close to Alba which offers more city stuff to do. Genoa is pretty busy and not all that touristy but the aquarium is a nice. I liked Bellagio more than Varenna - Varenna was too quiet for my taste.