Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

We will be driving from Zermatt, Switzerland this August and going to Lake Como before we fly out of Milan. We will only have a little more than 24 hours at Lake Como before we need to leave for the airport. We are interested in staying in Varenna while we are there as we have heard good things about it. It looks like we would have to take our car on a ferry coming from Switzerland. Is that expensive to take a car on a ferry? Does it make sense to drive right to Varenna and park our car there, or would it be better if we park our car in Como and take a water taxi to go stay in Varenna. We are also open to staying in another town if anyone wants to recommend a favorite. In August with only having just over 24 hours there will we be able to Lenno and Bellagio and Varenna do you think or will it be too crowded to do all of that? Thanks!!

Posted by
1056 posts

I can’t answer your questions about costs to take your car on Lake Como ferries, but I’m wondering if you know that returning a rental car to a different country than that where you rented it can come with hefty fees.

Posted by
11156 posts

It would be much easier to stay on west side of lake, Mennagio, Cadenabbia, park car at hotel and then take ferries to the east,side of the lake to visit Bellagio and Varenna. Bellagio will take more time to see than Varenna as it is larger, more to see. It will be also be easier to leave for MXP from west side of lake. And you will pay a large drop off fee for picking up a car and dropping it off in another country.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Patricia. I appreciate your response. We are actually starting in Milan and going up through Austria then Switzerland and then back to Milan. That is kind of you to respond.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Suki! I appreciate the suggestion. I will check out the city you suggest! Have you stayed there before?