Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

I've booked several hotels in Bellagio and Varenna and can't decide which town would be best. Any recommendations? It will be the first two nights in Italy.

Posted by
32824 posts

If you have booked "several" please remember to cancel the several you're not going to stay at ASAP so others can have a go at the rooms....

Posted by
3107 posts

Where are you coming from? Varenna may be easier to get to than Bellagio, which is not reached by train.

Posted by
32214 posts

Sue, My suggestion would be to stay in Varenna, as the transportation is somewhat easier (especially since this will be your first two nights and you'll be jet lagged). Which Hotels have you booked?

Posted by
173 posts

I think we will end up staying in Varenna. I've booked Eremo Gaudio and Hotel Olivedo, of course I will cancel one of these in the next few days depending on what I decide. Any recommendations?

Posted by
173 posts

Any recommendations for hotels in Verona? Hotel Giulietta e Romeo or Hotel Milano?

Posted by
16345 posts

I think we walked by Hotel Milano several times during our stay in Verona. I'll check on that and report back.

Posted by
32214 posts

Sue, Regarding Hotels in Varenna.... As I recall, Eremo Gaudio is located WAY up the hill from the harbor area. I've been up there but never stayed there. I've spoken with a number of people who have, and they were all very happy with the accommodations. Keep in mind that each time you want to visit the town or harbor, a short hike will be involved. Albergo Olivedo is an older Hotel right at the Ferry dock. They also manage the La Torretta apartments next door. I have stayed there, and found the accommodations were very comfortable. I've seen some comments that Laura (the Manager) can be a bit brusque, but I've never found that to be the case. I get along fine with her, and have always enjoyed dealing with her. Even if you don't stay at Olivedo, I'd recommend stopping there for dinner one night (opens for dinner at 19:00 if my memory is correct). The food is great! Hotel Olivedo is located at one end of the lakeside promenade, so it's a beautiful walk from there to the main part of town along the lake (less than 10-minutes to the main Piazza, and some nice Gelato shops along the way). Many here highly recommend Albergo Milano, so that's another choice. It tends to be a bit higher on the price scale than some of the others. If you want to consider other properties, also have a look at Villa Cipressi or Royal Hotel Victoria. Both are close to the main Piazza, by the Church. I had a look around Hotel Victoria and a chat with the staff last time I was there, and I'm sure you'd be happy with it (as long as it fits your budget). Cheers!

Posted by
1446 posts

Sue, I highly suggest Albergo Milano in Varenna. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the lake which made for incredible views. The hotel itself was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

Posted by
328 posts

We just returned Sunday from two weeks in Italy. We ended our vacation in Varenna. I am so happy we chose to stay there. It was my favorite town on the lake. We rented a wonderful little apartment that was very centrally located, with a little terrace and a view. At 90 euro a night, we thought it was a great value. http://www.bbplanet.com/apartment-annina-house-varenna_s19932/en/

Posted by
253 posts

We did this same itinerary several years ago. We stayed in Bellagio, taking the train to Como straight from Malpensa. From Como, you bus into Bellagio. Whoever mentioned jet lag being a factor was not kidding. I was fine till the bus ride. Narrow road and a bit twisty, which did not help. But the worse was when a truck coming the other way could not pass the bus! Both vehicles had to remove side mirrors in order to pass, delaying our arrival to Bellagio by an hour. However, as a destination, Bellagio has Varenna beat. Once there, it was worth it to relax and take in the lake.

Posted by
28 posts

We stayed in the top room with a terrace at Eremio Gaudio. The view is spectacular. The walk to the ferry and restaurants takes ten minutes or less and though the walk back is up hill, it is not difficult at all. We all loved this hotel, especially if you have a terrace or balcony. The views never stop.