Please sign in to post.

Labor day 2016 in Italy

We will be in Italy for 2 weeks at the end of April/beginning May 2016. I am in the process of planning our itinerary. I understand that April 25 and May 1 are both major holidays, and that the week in between is often a big travel week . May 1 falls on a Sunday and I had planned to be in Cinque Terre that weekend. However I have read that the crowds at places such as CT can be very bad during this holiday and am rethinking this original plan. My question is: since May 1 falls on a Sunday, do Italian workers get a 3 day holiday weekend, ie would they get Monday off, or even the previous Friday? Or will Monday (May 2) be back as usual? We will be coming from a week in Tuscany (Pienza region), leaving April 30, and fly out of Milan on Wedneday May 4. Any suggestions of where to go for those last few days that wouldn't be too crowded because of the holiday? (Have been to Florence and Venice on previous trips). Have thought of Lago Maggiore or Como, but I would guess those would be very crowded as well. We will have a car, so can be fairly flexible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by
15161 posts

May 2 will not be a holiday.
However if you plan to stay at the Cinque Terre the night of Apr30, you might have a hard time finding accommodations. Every weekend tends to be crowded at the Cinque Terre, therefore I would avoid weekends there, holiday or not holiday. If you must go, consider going there the evening of May 1 for 2 nights. Then on May 3 make your way to Milan to spend your last night before flying home.

If you decide to skip the 5Terre (or maybe do those earlier), I would consider 3 or 4 nights at Lake Maggiore (Stresa?) before flying home. Stresa is only 45 min drive to the Malpensa airport.
The Apr30/May1 night requires advance booking there too. But no matter how busy Lake Maggiore is, it will never look like the Cinque Terre zoo. I don't go to the Cinque Terre anymore (I used to go every year when I lived in Italy in my 20's). Last time I went 5 years ago it was ridiculous, and it was on a weekday right after May 1.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks Roberto. I think we will forgo CT. I would assume other small towns along the coast such as Porto Venere or Lerici would also be very busy over that holiday weekend, or do you think they might be good alternatives ? Also if we should decide to visit the lakes region , which do you think would be better : Varenna or Stresa with reference to holiday crowds and as a first time visitor to the area?

Posted by
15161 posts

Porto Venere is nice. Not sure if it gets the hordes of tourists like the 5 Terre nowadays. Lerici is primarily a seaside destination for Italians. I doubt the Cruisaders from the Cruise ships invade the place like they invade the 5 Terre, so it's probably less crowded (watch out for the ZTL in Lerici).

Since you have a car, on April 30, I would drive to Stresa on Lake Maggiore, but taking the Riviera route, going via the A12 (to Genoa) and the E25 / A26. Along the way you can stop wherever you'd like: Portovenere, Monterosso (or nearby Levanto), Moneglia, Portofino. If you want to stay overnight, since you have a car, you might want to stay in Levanto, or Moneglia. Both should have accommodations in May and they have easier parking options. From both you can visit places by train. From Pienza to this area it should take about 2.5 hours. On May 1, drive the additional 2.5-3 hours to Stresa.
In Stresa stay at least 3 nights (May 1, 2,3) because there is a lot to see in the area: Borromee islands, Orta San Giulio on Lake Orta, Cannobio, Locarno, etc.. On the morning of May 4, drive the 45 min. to the airport (MXP). Return the car and fly home.

Lake Como (Varenna) is also nice, but it's not close to the airport, therefore the last day, you would need to check out, travel closer to Malpensa and spend the last night closer to the airport. Stresa allows you to stay until the last night and save a hotel change.

I prefer Lake Maggiore to Lake Como, there are more things to see, and if one intends to visit a lake before flying out of Malpensa, lake Maggiore makes more sense because of its proximity to the airport, but for whatever reason (Rick Steves? George Clooney?) Americans are obsessed by Lake Como, so what can I say? It's like trying to convince the members of a cult that drinking kool aid may not be a good idea.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks for the great suggestions! Just what I was looking for.