Please sign in to post.

June 2, 2017 Festa Della Repubblica in Rome

Hello, we will be in Rome during the Festa Della Repubblica holiday this year. We arrive in Rome on Wednesday, May 31st and will have a 1/2 day to get settled in, stroll around and have dinner. We plan on going to the Vatican on Thursday, June 1st, have an exploration day on Friday, June 2nd (holiday) and then tour the Colosseum on Saturday, June 3rd. We leave for Florence on June 4th.

This is my 3rd time in Rome, however the first visit for my travel partners. My question is, what are the best things to do on this particular holiday? I've read most shops and sites can be closed on this day and the city is bustling with festivities. I had thought about this:
-Visit the market at Campo de' Fiori (does anyone know if this market is open on this holiday?)
-Borghese Gardens
-Spanish Steps
-Spend the evening in Trastavere for dinner and shopping (unless shops and restaurants are closed?)

**I do know about the parade near the Colosseum and the fly over at Vittorio Emanuel Monument, however I think we would prefer to avoid those.

Any advice in how to handle this day would be greatly appreciated, as I'm having a difficult time finding open/close times for this particular holiday.

Thank you!

Posted by
15835 posts

Shelley, I just looked and Galleria Borghese is open on the 2nd (closed Mondays, December 25 and January 1). You could combine that with a walk through the park and over to the Spanish Steps?

Posted by
11346 posts

June 2 is not a big day for closures. Just check the website of your intended site(s) and see. They are probably open. There are tons of restaurants open and they are usually busy on any holiday. Shops in the tourist areas will be open, too.

Posted by
32835 posts

the only change I saw a couple of years ago was coming across a brass band playing the national anthem in front of the Pantheon with everybody joining in and having a wonderful time.

Have a great day that day. Don't worry.

Posted by
7209 posts

The Via dei Fori Imperiali will be closed for parades and pedestrians and temporary stadium seating will be erected along this route. It's a very festive day.