Please sign in to post.

jet lag

the consensus seems to be the best defense for jet lag is to drink plenty of fluid on the flight over, but will the tsa now allow sealed or unsealed water in my carry on back pack

Posted by
12172 posts

You can't bring a full bottle of water through security. You can bring an empty bottle or bottles and either fill them at a drinking fountain or ask the flight attendent to fill them. I'd bring at least one liter of water per person. They will give you several glasses of water through the flight but not enough to stay fully hydrated.

Posted by
194 posts

I know that at least at O'Hare, where I usually depart on international flights, you can buy water after you exit the security area. And I'm pretty sure you can then take this water on the flight.

Posted by
7570 posts

Just to clarify....
No, can't bring any liquids through security except your 3 oz bottles in the quart bag.
Yes, you can bring an empty water container.
Yes, you can fill your container, or buy liquids after security and bring them on the flight.

Posted by
7570 posts

And my advice, more so than liquids, for jet lag is once you land, if it is noon or after, stay active, be outside in the sun, eat a good meal, go to bed at normal time, get up, do it again. If you arrive earlier, a quick catnap (30 Minutes) may help you atay awake until 9:00 or 10:00 at night, but resist the urge to nap or even sit around. The worst time we had adjusting was a trip to Greece that consisted of a lot of laying on the beach. Force yourself to fit into the new schedule.

Posted by
632 posts

Paul,

Care to elaborate on how and why laying on the beach in Greece constituted the worst time you ever had adjusting to the time change?

Posted by
7570 posts

Believe me, being on the beach was great and the trip was great, but I think that being idle as opposed to active contributed to my disrupted sleep. It seems that we would wake up at night at all hours wide awake, and feel drowsy during the day. Basically our bodies never adjusted to the new schedule. If we would have been able to sleep, I would have felt much better.

Posted by
331 posts

Bring your empty bottle and ask the flight attendants to refill it. They were very happy to fill my bottles (about 8 times) during my flight.