Please sign in to post.

Jan3-16 2020

My family and I ( all adults). Are spending the next two weeks In Siena. We rented an apptment right down town. We want to take day trips to Pisa, somewhere near the sea, also Voltera and any other places you suggest. We will take transit any advice? Also any suggestions on must dos while there?

Posted by
6365 posts

You might also consider San Gimignano and Montalcino. Some friends recently spent about 7 - 10 days in Siena; they did those two day trips, and also a full-day wine tour. And if you haven't been to Florence, I would certainly add that.

Posted by
4105 posts

These towns are easily accessible by bus and train. Some towns I've combined with others. (B=bus, T=train)

Siena-Colle di Val d'Elsa ( B 30m)-San Gimignano (B 35m)-Siena (T 1H05m)

Siena-Montereggioni (B 18m)-Castellina in Chianti (B 30m)

Siena-Radda in Chianti (B 55m)

Siena-Buonconvento (T 28m)-Monteroni d'Arbia
(T 12m)-Siena

Siena-Rapolano Terme (T 37m)-Asciano Mont Oliveto (T 10m)-Siena (T 26m)

Siena-Sinalunga (T 53m)

Siena-San Quirico d' Orcia (B 50m)

Siena-Pienza ( B 1H05m)

Siena-Certaldo (T 39m)

Siena-Pisa (T 1H46m)

Siena- Viareggio ( T 2H55m) beach town, but 28 minutes from Pisa. I'd do the beach first, then Pisa towards sunset after the crowds have left.

Even if you decide on 1 hilltown a day, there's plenty to do. Look at the towns to see what interest you.

Be sure to check return times by bus carefully.

Posted by
337 posts

Am interested in your experience because we are planning on visiting Siena in January but were wondering about the weather...is it ok enough to be pleasant to be out and about all day?