Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Suggestions, Please!

Greetings gang,

You've all been so helpful in my travel planning over the years, that I know you'll help me figure out an itinerary.

I have to be in Salzburg on Easter, April 9th.
I have to be in Naples on April 16th.

So, I was thinking of flying into either Vienna a day or two early, then taking the train to Salzburg and spend a couple of days.
From there, where to go before Naples? I have been to Rome but my partner has not, so that's an idea. Is Sicily too out of the way? Somewhere along the western coast?

Plan to be gone about 12 days

Thanks in advance for this help!

Todd

Posted by
3594 posts

Sicily is quite large, with many wonderful places to explore. If you can’t devote more time (2 weeks?) to it, I advise that you save it for another trip.

Posted by
8139 posts

Naples is 150 mi. south of Rome, and a long way from Vienna. The trains are fast from Rome, however.

Have you considered flying into Munich and taking the 2 hour train over to Salzburg. Both Munich and Vienna are worthy of spending some time in. You could catch a train in Salzburg down to innsbruck and thru the Brenner Pass into Italy. You could also spend time in Florence and Rome on the way to Naples.

Posted by
4845 posts

As mentioned, Sicily deserves way more time and is way far out of the way for this trip. Also, Munich may be a better option as an arrival airport for Salzburg.

Venice is easily reachable from Salzburg by train. You could stop there for a couple of nights enroute to Rome and then Naples.

Posted by
256 posts

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!
I like the idea of flying into Munich. I have spent a lot of time in Munich and can show my partner the city in a full day and then on to Salzburg. Love the idea of Venice. Only been once and certainly could spend more time there. Naples. Would fly home to LA ….from Rome (?) so it might be best from the last stop.

Posted by
2311 posts

There is an airport in Salzburg. You could fly there directly, easily spend 4-5 nights there, then continue to Naples. Around Salzburg, you could explore Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt & Werfen.

Posted by
9 posts

We've taken the train trip that David suggested ... It is breathtaking!!!

You could easily spend three nights in both Florence & Rome while making your way down to Naples and feel like it was time well spent and still have items to go back to see on another adventure.