Please sign in to post.

Itinerary suggestions for solo trip to Italy - Late June/early July - 2015

I'm looking to travel to Italy next summer for about 12-14 days. I have only been to Venice on a previous European trip. I know that I want to see Rome and Florence and I would love to go back to Venice but since I've been there before, it is not essential. I love to hike and have thought about The Cinque Terre or even making my way to Switzerland and flying out of there if I start out in Rome.

I like a good combination of seeing all of the big attractions along with getting away from it all with some outdoor activities. I've learned from my previous trips to Europe that I like to stay at each spot at least 2 days (preferably 3) or more as it seems too rushed for me otherwise.

I would appreciate any suggestions beyond Rome, Florence, and possibly Venice (I do love canal cities)! Thanks!!

Posted by
7129 posts

Hi Sue, if Switzerland sounds appealing, I would recommend checking out the Dolomites in Italy since you're interested in Venice. You can take the train to Verona & up into the Dolomites for some wonderful hiking.

Posted by
4105 posts

if you decide on the Dolomites, consider this as your path

fly to Rome.

3 nites Rome.

2 nites CT.

3nites Florence and or Tuscany.

2 nites Dolomites.

2 nites Venice.

Fly from Venice

OR

Fly to Venice

1 nite Venice not long, but will give you your Venice fix.

3 nites Dolomites (train/bus).

3 nites Florence/Siena/Lucca/Castellina in Chianti/Greve in Chianti you might consider a car in this area.

2nites CT.

3 nites Rome.

Fly from Rome

Posted by
146 posts

Thanks! Those options sound pretty good! I'm definitely interested in the dolomites at well as CT but I could pick either or both a long as I have one great hiking site. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Posted by
146 posts

P.S. - I prefer to not drive alone (just trains) so if the dolomites involve driving, I may have to pass. But I am open to anything! :-)

Posted by
11294 posts

Some Dolomite towns are accessible by bus, so you can still see them without a car.