Please sign in to post.

itinerary questions

Hi. I'm traveling to Italy with my family this summer, and I am OVERWHELMED by all the information out there. I know that all my answers can be found in various posts, but I'm wondering if by some miracle many of them are in the same post?? We have our basic itinerary but aren't sure about travel between places. I need some feedback. We want to fly to Milan and take a train to Varenna to relax a little after the long day of travel, then head somewhere in the vicinity of Florence / Cinque Terre. We want to spend time in both of the latter. Then we want to head to Sienna, then to Rome, then to the Amalfi Coast, then back to fly out of Rome. So: my questions: 1. Where should we go from Varenna and can we get there by train? We've read about Palma and other places ... your opinions?? We want to go to a town in between and stay overnight, then spend two or three days in Cinque Terre and three days in Florence before heading out. The train schedules are confusing. 2. Is it better to use trains the whole time, or should we rent a car for some places? 3. Should we stay IN Florence or stay on the outskirts and take trains into the city? If so, which small town on the outskirts would be best? 4. We want to stay IN Cinque Terre ... it seems pretty doable, and we can get the national park pass and hike and sitesee fairly easily, it seems. 5. Then, from there to Sienna and etc.
Does all that sound reasonable? Can we avoid the car or is all that rail stuff going to kill our pocketbooks??

Posted by
166 posts

If you can stay in Florence, then that's most convenient and is what we have done in the past. Can't beat just heading out of the door and into the city. Haven't stayed outside. Renting a car works if you have a base somewhere and you want to drive to destination(s) each day outside that base. E.g. we'll be staying just outside Siena this summer and renting a car for day trips to Siena, Chianti towns, Florence, San Gimignano, Cortona, Assisi etc. If you're staying in a city and just exploring that city (e.g. Florence, Siena), no need for a car.

Posted by
1215 posts

Hi Traci. How long will you be in Varenna? Would suggest more than just a quick overnight; it's great. Logical order from Varenna would be to go to CT, then to Florence. Definitely trains not car for those legs. Train from Varenna to CT is pretty easy; connect in Milan; no need to stay somewhere overnight in between unless you wanted to spend time in Milan. Then train from CT to Florence. Haven't been to Florence or south, so will let others comment on that.
Enjoy your trip; I'm jealous!

Posted by
11315 posts

Traci:
How many nights will you be in Italy? "Florence/Cinque Terre" are quite far apart in terms of transporation time, so I am confused by your lumping them together. Florence and Siena are fairly close to one another, and both are in Tuscany. :-) An efficient path might be this order: Milan-Varenna-Cinque Terre-Florence-Siena (or other Tuscany hilltown as a base)-Amalfi Coast (Sorrento)-Rome. That seems like at least a 3 week trip to me, hence my first question: How many nights? Palma is in Sicily, which is very far off the rest of your planned track. Have you read Rick Steves' Italy and his Europe Through the Back Door to help you plan? Oh, and trains are the way to go, with the possible exception of a car while in Tuscany (NOT in Florence, however). Renting a car is very expensive in Italy.

Posted by
4407 posts

"but I'm wondering if by some miracle many of them (answers) are in the same post??" Yes; it's called Rick Steves' "Italy 2011"! Seriously. And also get "ETBD", as previously mentioned. Worth their weight in gold...you'll see...Read both of them all the way through, and then again! A little confidence under your belt helps with that overwhelmed feeling ;-) ONE suggestion - there are 3-hour-long, direct trains every hour b/n Florence and Naples. I suggest taking that on your way to 'Amalfi'...then go to Rome as your last stop. You probably won't need a car on this trip, unless you're getting off the beaten paths in Tuscany and I doubt that. Stay IN Florence. Stay IN CT. Yes, you can get to Varenna from Milan by train - 1-hour direct trains.

Posted by
12 posts

I have an older Rick Steves book, 2008.
I've read most of it ... but I'm still a little overwhelmed. We're on a bit of a budget, but will try to stay 15 days, plus two days' air travel, so 17 days total. I like the route you listed ... we were just trying to figure out how to keep costs down and still get to spend time in the places we'd like to see. I'd like to fly to Milan, take the train immediately to Varenna and stay two nights there, then, well, I guess then to Cinque Terre for two nights, then two nights in Florence, two more in Siena, two more on the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento) then to Rome for a few days. Now to figure out the cost of the meals and all our lodging and museums, etc. I've read a little about Steve's tours -- there's a 15-day tour in June that sounds fabulous but we can't quite figure out yet if there's a cheaper way to do it, maybe by leaving some things out. $5,000 a person PLUS airfare is a bit out of our league, but trying to figure out all the transportation and lodging and meals and entrance fees is making my poor English-major head ache!! Is the tour cheaper in the long-run?

Posted by
11315 posts

Traci: My husband and I found we can travel for waaayyyyyy less than a tour costs. Try to keep your lodging to 100 euros per night maximum ( more in Rome, less in the CT) by staying primarily in B&Bs. Plan about 80 euros per day for food and snacks. (More if you drink a lot of wine.) Now, list the sights -- Vatican Museums, Colosseum, etc.) you want to see and look of the current entrance fees on the Internet. Then look at the cost of trains using the Trenitalia website. Budget in some for local transportation. (Rick outlines it well.) Oh, and buy a new book. The cost of the book pales by comparison to what you will spend on this trip. It is an investment! Changing locations is expensive. Given 15 nights in Italy and what you want to do, I'd recommend - 2 nights Varenna - 3 CT - 3 Florence
- 3 Siena - 4 Rome If you want to do Sorrento/Amalfi Coast, drop the Cinque Terre and spend only 2 nights in Siena so you will have 4 nights in Sorrento. 2 nights in a location and then moving on is just too hurried. You won't enjoy all the logistics of packing and unpacking and getting settled only to do it again in a couple of days. Back to budget: If with 5 locations the train costs scare you, then drop back to more nights in 4 locations and save a little. Remember if you buy your tickets AT LEAST a day before you travel, on the high speed trains you may be able to save a few euros by getting a "mini" fare, discussed many times on thie Helpline.

Posted by
10218 posts

I agree with Laurel. Drop either the CT or Amalfi. You don't really have time to do both. And remember, 2 nights = one full day. With the schedule you have set up you will spend more time checking out of your hotels, going to train stations, being on trains, finding your way from the next train station to you next hotel, etc. You don't leave yourself much time to really enjoy the sites you are going so far to see. Considering your limited time I would stay in the towns so you don't have to allow for even more transportation time.

Posted by
32201 posts

Traci, I also agree with Laurel, and the Itinerary she provided is very workable for 15-days. In planning your time, did you allow for the two travel days at the beginning and end of the trip? I'd suggest leaving the Amalfi coast and the area south of Rome for a future visit, when you have time to enjoy it properly. It deserves more than a few days! To give you some idea of the approximate travel times: > Malpensa Airport to Varenna: will depend on whether you travel entirely by train or use the Malpensa Shuttle to Milan (~50M). You will have to change trains at Milano Centrale. The trip to Varenna is 1H:03M. > Varenna to Monterosso (CT): 4H:25M with one change in Milan (I chose Monterosso for an example as you didn't specify which of the five villages you'll be staying in). > Monterosso to Florence: 2H:29M - 3H:38M depending on which train is used; one change in Pisa or La Spezia. > Florence to Siena: on that route, travel via Sita Corse Rapide Bus is easier than going by train, as you'll be dropped in the centre of town rather than the bottom of the hill where the station is located. Travel time is an easy 1H:15M. The Bus station is close to Firenze SMN rail station. > Siena to Rome: averages about 3H:25M, usually with one change in Chiusi. If this is your first trip to Europe, I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door prior to departure, especially the "Rail Skills" section. Having some knowledge will help with using the trains in Italy. Happy travels!

Posted by
11315 posts

Ken, you are always so thorough! Nice job on the travel times. Andrea, you have a great way of explaining why two nights isn't sufficient! Traci, you will have a great trip, but the planning is essential to it. Let us know what you think of this advice and what other questions you have, but read a current Rick Steves' book too!

Posted by
12 posts

Very good points.
OK, so maybe fly in to Milan and take the train straight to Varenna, stay three days, then to Cinque Terre for three, then to Florence for three, then to Rome for three, flying out on the 14th or 15th day. So that has us staying overnight in four places instead of six. I can't give up Cinque Terre -- it just looks too beautiful. And Florence is my MUST SEE. That's probably going to cost us the most, as well, as there are many things there I'd like to see/do. Surely we could take a day trip to Sienna at some point in all that. We'll leave the Amalfi Coast for another time ... though truthfully, I think this may be my only shot at Italy. I've been saving for 10 years for this trip and I'm taking my Girl Scouts to Costa Rica in two and a half years -- I'll be 80 before I save up enough again. LOL. We could stay as many as 18 days, but I'm not sure we can afford the extra nights of lodging.

Posted by
11315 posts

Traci, I think you are zeroing in on a decent plan, but I coutn 12 nights, not the 15 I thought you were staying. If all you have is 12, then I'd give Varenna two nights, and give Rome 4. You may well be bored in Varenna after two, and Rome deserves your attention. You will be back! Don't try to cram everything in. You'll enjoy what you can see more!

Posted by
12 posts

You're all great. Thanks so much for all the feedback. Talked to someone from Queensland Tours today, just to get an idea of what they offer. I know I absolutely hear you that it's cheaper to just do it ourselves, but I just wanted to get some ideas. The fellow I talked to described a very minimalist tour, what they call the Anti-Tour, that basically just maps out an itinerary based on an (hour-long!!) conversation with you about your wants / needs / etc., and handles getting you from one place to another but then pretty much leaves you on your own, with a few exceptions: The things you absolutely must see (according to us, not them) are taken care of, booked, etc. Have any of you heard of these folks? They don't sound anything like any of the other tours I've read about. The guy I spoke with was marvelous and had so many great suggestions about day trips and where to stay. When I told him I was really looking for a secretary more than a tour representative he just laughed and said he knew what I meant. It's a little daunting there's just sooooooo much to see and do and I don't want to cram it all in, but I may never get this chance again and I can sleep when I get back home!! I think my biggest fear is this: We're not travelers. We are in our hearts, but not in reality. And I'm a teensy bit apprehensive about being in a foreign country without knowing a soul there or having any contact there. When we first started planning this trip, we were going to go with a woman from Naples who lives in our town now, but her dad's sick and she's not going to be able to go. But at the same time, I do not want to be stuck to a schedule or herded along some tour like cattle. I do, however, like the idea of knowing that all our train tickets, museum and church passes and other reservations have been taken care of. What do you think? Am I crazy? Worrying too much?

Posted by
1201 posts

Traci if you are still there, a quick question... You said in your original post you were traveling with your family. How many are there of you and ages of the kids please? It will help make some further suggestions.

Posted by
12 posts

Only one child; she's 13 (may turn 14 during our trip, depending on how long we end up staying).

Posted by
10218 posts

I think that even though it seems overwhelming to you to plan this yourself, you can do it! You can come here for advice and suggestions. Read Rick's Italy book to learn HOW to travel. It really is easy to take the trains once you have an idea how to do it. You will save a lot of money not paying to have someone take care of those things for you. If you stay in economical places you might be able to stay those extra days. For example, in Varenna instead of staying in a place on the lake with a great view, you could stay at the Orange House. It is near the train station (no train noise) and the ferry dock. We paid 73 euro per night when we stayed there in 9/10. It was very nice, included breakfast and the owners were great. On the same trip we paid 70 euros per night in Rome at Downtown Accomodation. It is down the street from the Colosseum on Via Cavour. A little noisy street side, but you could ask for a room in the back. We stayed at the Maria Capellini's Cozy Studio in Vernazza for 85 euros per night and Il Bargellino in Florence for 85 euros per night. If you fly into Milan and go straight to Varenna, you can go to the travel agency across the street from the Orange House to purchase your train tickets for the rest of the trip. Very easy. If you plan to go to museums in Florence you can have your hotel make the reservations for you. You might be able to do the same thing in Rome. Don't pay someone to do something you can do yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Posted by
12 posts

So, Andrea, give me something to compare it to.
We've been looking at airfare, meals (45 of them), 14 nights' lodging, admissions to some museums and galleries in Florence and sites in Rome, train fare ... if you were going to spend 15 days doing what I've outlined here: Varenna, Cinque Terre, Florence, Rome, and some day trips to Tuscany, including everything but airfare, what would you say we should be looking at, doing it all on our own? Most of the towns would be sightseeing and relaxing; Florence and Rome would, I suspect, be our costliest places in terms of admissions to the "must-see" spots. With meals, train tickets, admissions and lodging, what would your ballpark figure be? I think that's what's getting me a little stymied. We can certainly do the research (and have done) and book hotels and admissions on our own ... and then we add in the 45 meals ... what do you think is a reasonable expectation of the amount we'd most likely spend? Just ballpark? I think the allure of having someone book everything for us is (a) a time thing and (b) just the certainty of knowing we'd have it done. I need some comparisons to help me feel more secure about doing it on our own.

Posted by
11315 posts

Traci:
I'd say 120 euros per night for lodging ( you may be able to better in some places and pay more in others, like Rome), 100 euros per day for food, and that includes some wine and picnicking. If you are not drinkers, you can spend less. B&Bs or apartments, not hotels, will usually be your best bet. Make a list of the sights you want to see and get an idea of admissions. These are all listed in the Rick Steves' guides. You can get train fares on the Trenitalia site, http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD. Travel second class to save money. I make up a spreadsheet with all of these factors plugged in day-by-day. Then you have to play "Guess the exchange rate" on the euro; It's $1.41 right now.

Posted by
10218 posts

You are traveling in the peak season. We were in Italy for 3 weeks this last September. With the exception of Venice, which was quite pricey comparatively, we paid 70 - 85 euros per night. Everywhere we stayed was clean, but not necessarily fancy. We were only there to sleep. We did stay in an agriturismo just outside of Siena for 85 that I would have paid even more for. It was fantastic! The places we stayed included breakfast, except the apartments we rented in Vernazza & Verona. Apartments are the way to go if you can to save some money on food. We have rented for as little as 2 nights. You can look at apartment rentals on vrbo.com. Don't be afraid to try to negotiate a better price. It won't hurt! I don't book apartments that charge an extra fee for cleaning. Another website that might help with lodging is germanwings.com. Or check Venere.com. I have also used Expedia. How much you will spend on food is up to you. Will breakfast be included in your lodging? Are you big eaters? Are you into picnicking? Do you drink alcohol? Don't forget to budget for gelato. :-) It does take some time to do this yourself, but you don't have to be as obsessive about it as some of us (moi!) can be. Your budget is up to you...

Posted by
58 posts

My sister and I are going this May. This is our itinerary: 1. fly into Venice...stay 3 nites at B&B. 2. train to Verona (leave luggage at station, look around, pick up luggage) Train to Montorosso (Cinque Terre) via Milan (we are not stopping at Milan) 3. Train to Pisa, book into hotel by airport, leave luggage and go to Lucca for the day. 4. Fly early am Pisa to Bari. Take train/bus to Alberobello where we are staying 1 nite in a Trulli. 5. Train back to Bari (look around) continue to Matera to spend 2 nites in a cave hotel. 6. Fly Bari-Rome (could stay in Rome, but we decided to continue on to Sorrento for 2 nites and do a day trip to Pompeii) 7. Back to Rome by trains and stay 2 nites in a convent. Explore Rome and might do day trip to Ostia Antica) 8. Leave Rome for London.
It is a full trip but shows so many different aspects of Italy. I hope it works out and is worth all the work involved in research and booking.

Posted by
12 posts

Would still love to see an actual TRIP COST from someone. It's so hard to know where we need to shave stuff off.

Posted by
130 posts

Hi Tracy, I am currently planning a trip to Italy for my husband and I, and I have been in the process of costing it out- many of our places are similar. Here is my plan so far: Venice- 3 Nights @ B & B= Total ~1000 Euro Accommoations- 450 euro Meals- 250 euro Vaperetto Pass (60 euro), Gondola Ride (100 euro), museums (50 euro), shopping (100 euro). Cinque Terre- 3 Nights in Manarola= Total 600 euro Cinque Terre Park Pass- 50 euro Accommodations- 300 euro Meals- 200 euro Shopping/extras- 50 euro Florence- 3 Nights in a B & B= Total ~1200 euro Accommodations- 400 euro Meals- 250 euro Museums- 100 euro, Shopping, 200 euro, Trip to Pisa and/or Lucca- 100 euro, Tuscany tour- 150 euro Rome- 5 Nights in a B & B= Total ~1350 euro Accommodations: 550 euro Meals: 400 euro Museums: 200 euro
Shopping: 200 euro With everything, I estimated high, prefering to overbudget than under budget. I also booked nice accomodations, but not spectacular (my budget was 130 euro a night average. My husband and I love to eat and shop, so some of our budgets were allocated there as well, moreso than others. We are hoping to picnic for lunches most days, and breakfast is included at most of our accommodations. The only piece of my budget still pretty hazy is museums, since we haven't decided our specific itineraries yet. I've estimated (after looking at Trenitalia) that trains will be ~360 euro. In total, we are looking at about 4500 euro for our trip, after flights. I'm hoping we don't go that high, but I prefer to plan ahead.

Posted by
973 posts

I'd add a little to the budget for Venice. Admission prices in Venice last year were 16. or 23 euros per person for the Doge's Palace, and 12.50 per person for the Guggenheim.
The least expensive meal we had, except for a small sandwich, was the 13 euros prix fixe per person at the alla Basilica, 3 courses and supports charity at the same time. Average price for meals was 60 without alcohol, but we did not seek out inexpensive places to eat, and at least 2 were 90 euros for 2 persons.

Posted by
9110 posts

I think you'll have money left over. With no planning or forethought, I could walk out the door tomorrow and do your trip for two thousand euro (for two people) (pluse entrance fees and shopping). Venice would be the expensive part, but it'd still work into the average okay. Old data, but the year before last we spent a month in Italy (without Venice, but everywhere else on your list), a few entry fees since museums and such are well in the past, and a car the whole way. The cost was a bit less than six thousand dollars. The euro was running around 1.25, so that'd make it around 4800 euro or 160 euro per day (eighty per person per day). You'd have an extra mouth and need an additional bed.

Posted by
12 posts

Laura, thank you so much! Did you figure your train costs for the whole trip? That was getting to all those places?
It was good to see what someone else is looking at, just to get a feel for if we're in the same arena and how much the tours are asking for to do the planning. I think my biggest problem is that this is an incredibly busy time for me with a very unexpected job promotion and more intense (teen) Girl Scout activities than I'd anticipated and some other family issues -- I have found myself absolutely packed to the gills every night and every weekend for the next three months. It's insane, but, thankfully, temporary. It's so difficult to find the time to read the book (I take it to bed but fall asleep before I get much read!), research online, etc. LOL. Thank you all for your support.

Posted by
12 posts

Well, we took your advice and are planning it ourselves! We've got 15 days 3 nights each in Varenna, Vernazza, 4 in Florence, 2 in Sienna and 3 in Rome. I like the pace we've planned, and I'm excited about the flow of the trip relaxing Varenna after stressful traveling (I am not a good traveler!); hiking and kayaking in Cinque Terre; the city stuff museums and cathedrals and palaces in Florence, wine and relaxation in Sienna, then the history of Rome before heading home!! We've booked most of our accommodations we splurged in Varenna, did the utilitarian thing in Rome, found a quiet little place in Sienna, and now I have to decide among a few places in Florence and Vernazza. Any advice on these? in Florence: Albergo Chiazza Affottacamere Freda Lucia Casa Rabatti and in Vernazza: Caterina
La Marina Vernazza looks soooo beautiful. We are staying four nights in Florence instead of three because apparently there's a HUGE horse race in Sienna the first night we'd planned to stay. I'm proud because I figured in all the Sundays and Mondays where things are closed and we'll be out hiking and doing other outdoorsy things on those days. But I'm tempted to change Vernazza to four days and Florence back to three. Your thoughts? It seems that we have a little bit of everything on this trip. I'm getting so excited!!

Posted by
11315 posts

Hi again, Traci. Looks like your plan is really coming together. On the topic of 4 nights versus 3 in Vernazza, I think 4 is a little long. With 3 nights you'll have 2 full days for hiking and exploring. That's enough. Florence, and especially Rome, have more activities for you to enjoy, both in number and variety.

Posted by
524 posts

Bravo Traci! Great job working out your trip itinerary ! Looks good but agree you don't need 4 nights in CT. Your revised itinerary reduces your train costs also. Just a note, I am getting a little confused but I think you said you were bringing your teen daughter. You probably already know this but you will need to book triple rooms. In Europe, the hotels, B&B's, etc. charge by the person. Also, the double rooms will not fit 3 people. And the triple rooms can be hard to find. European hotels are charming and quirky but often no room is like any other! Keep us posted on your planning. Bobbie

Posted by
32201 posts

Traci, It looks like your Itinerary is coming along nicely. I have a few more comments. Are you using the Italy Guidebook as well as Europe Through The Back Door to plan? The Italy book has lots of great information on sightseeing, ways to minimize queues, etc. I'd suggest packing a copy along on the trip. Your daughter may also want to have a look at the Guidebooks, so that she'll be somewhat prepared for some of the "differences" in Italy. It appears that the order of visits will be Varenna - Vernazza - Florence - Siena - Rome? If so, that's a logical order to travel. Have you researched the options for getting from Milan / MXP to Varenna? You'll need to get to Milano Centrale using one of two methods. One caveat about Milano Centrale - it's often very "chaotic" so may be a bit stressful after a long flight. Be sure to watch your luggage and wear Money Belts! If you need more information about the facilities there, post another note. On the trip to Varenna, you'll pass through a tunnel just before arriving (if the trip is ~1 hour, get ready to disembark!). Be sure to watch others for the method to release the doors, as the train only stops for a minute or so! Depending on which Hotel you've booked, it's very easy to walk from the station (it's downhill). While in Varenna, a day trip to the famous resort of Bellagio is an easy 20-minute Ferry ride. Were you going to take an Italian Phrasebook along? It's a good idea to try and use a few of the "polite" words, and your daughter especially might enjoy giving that a try. BE SURE to check any electronic devices you'll be traveling with, to ensure they're designed for "world operation". Hair appliances may be a problem. You WILL need Euro Plug Adapters (take several as they're cheap). Cheers!

Posted by
32201 posts

Traci, One more thing (ran out of room in the previous reply).... If you're planning to visit the Uffizi or Accademia in Florence, reservations would be highly advisable, especially as you'll be travelling during the peak summer season!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks to all for the advice. Yes, we've booked triples. Yes, we're going to get adapter plugs. I'm guessing I can order them online. I am going to need help with the train information that's the part that has me a little nervous but I'm also planning several Girl Scout events in the next couple of weeks so I'm going to start looking at that in earnest in mid-May. And yes, I'm going to try my hardest to learn some polite Italian phrases. We've got Rick Steves' "Italy" book but not the one you mentioned; we probably need to purchase that one, too. Many of the places have said they'll help us make reservations at various places. I'm thinking that's going to be an issue only in Florence and Rome.
Have any of you heard of the five places I'm having to choose between?

Posted by
32201 posts

Traci, Regarding your most recent questions.... > Adaptor Plugs: You should be able to find these at larger travel or luggage shops in your area. If not, have a look at This Website. There may be other items on that website that you may be interested in as well. > The train information is not too difficult, but in Italy especially there can be "pitfalls". For example, forgetting to validate your ticket will often result in fines on the spot, and they're not cheap! I can elaborate on the details in my first reply if you're interested. > Which "Rick Steves Italy" book do you have? The phrasebook or the Guidebook? > If you could provide information on which sites you're going to be visiting in Florence and Rome, it would be easier for the group to offer more specific advice on reservations. > Hotel choices: I haven't heard of any of the places you mentioned. Where are you getting your Hotel information? Cheers!

Posted by
12 posts

* I would love more information about the trains. The travel inside Italy was what almost led me to use a tour, even though my husband was really hoping to do it on our own. Everybody keeps mentioning the fines!! * I'm using the Italy 2008 book. I know, it's old, but my sister-in-law used it and loved it and passed it on to me. * We used hotels / villas / B&Bs Rick listed in the book. One of the places we tried to make a reservation was booked but recommended Caterina's. It good some good reviews online I know you can't always trust them, but I'm hoping that a trusted Rick Steves location wouldn't give us bad advice. It's a room in a private home.
* The three in Florence were recommended by Steves as well. We chose three of the least expensive but not as cheap as hostels and only those that had decent reviews from Steves we're using so much of our budget on air fare and on a relatively fancy place in Varenna as a treat and we'd rather spend more on food and museums and the like than on a place to sleep. Still ... I've heard some stories! Don't want to end up in a nightmare accommodation!

Posted by
32201 posts

Traci, First, regarding the trains. Can you confirm that you'll be travelling in the order Milan - Varenna - Vernazza - Florence - Siena - Rome? I doubt the accommodations have changed much between the 2008 and 2011 books, although there are often minor changes from year-to-year. Are you firmly decided to stay in Vernazza, or would one of the other villages suffice? You'll have a greater range of choices in Monterosso, as it's the largest of the five villages. What price range do you prefer? La Marina isn't listed in the 2010 book so can't comment on them. I've never heard of Caterina's so again can't comment. Albergo Chiazza and Affitacamere Freda Lucia in Florence aren't listed in the 2010 book, but Casa Rabatti seems to get a solid endorsement. As I recall, you're looking for a room for three? Where are you staying in Varenna? Also, what time does your flight arrive at Milan / MXP?

Posted by
12 posts

* Yes, the order is correct. * We arrive in Milan at about 9:30 in the morning on a Thursday. We're staying at the Hotel Olivedo in Varenna. It's our only real hotel splurge; the rest will be lower budget. * Re: Vernazza: I went ahead and booked Caterina's room ... she hasn't actually gotten my Visa number yet, and we're still nine weeks out, so I could easily change. We were looking for something that isn't too touristy but also is under 90 Euro per night. I'm guessing that in Cinque Terre, we'll be out all day hiking and kayaking and tromping from site to site; we were really just looking for a place to lay our heads. This is our big outdoor adventure stop -- Florence is all about the art and Rome is all about the history; Cinque Terre just looks like FUN. *We plan to get a park pass so we can take the trains to a different village each day. Do you have advice on how to do the whole of Cinque Terre in three days? Well, really two and a half days. I am intrigued and could have stayed there five days, but an overwhelming number of people said NO, spend the extra time in Florence! I'd love to have a little time in each village if possible -- eat in one, shop in another, hike through several, etc.
Can't remember what else you asked ... and I can't see your post while I'm replying. Maybe the webmaster could change that?

Posted by
130 posts

Hi Tracy, I'm sorry I didnt write back to you- I didnt know you had responded to me! Congrats on DIY-ing your trip :) I love planning our vacations! I used Trenitalia to look at estimating the cost of each leg of our trip. I'm planning on pre-booking Venice-Florence, and Florence-Rome to get the best prices. The rest are regional trains, so we will just buy them as we go. I'm in the process of looking at tours and museums now, and it is certainly keeping me busy! It seems like your trip is turning into ours, except we are doing Venice instead of Varenna.