Please sign in to post.

Itinerary question

I was planning on going from Orvieto to Florence, then to Venice, then on to CT. But after researching, I think there is less train time to go from Orvieto to Venice (via Florence)for a 2 day stay, then back to Florence for 2 day stay, then from Florence to CT for 2 days. According to RS, there is 6-7 hours to go from Venice to CT verses 5.25 hrs to go from Orvieto to Venice. Does anyone see where I'm coming from with this?

Posted by
1127 posts

Do Orvieto - Venice - Florence- CT, or start in Venice if you can.

Posted by
6898 posts

It would help to know where you are entering Italy and where you are exiting. You last stop is the CT. Where do you go from there? Venice to the CT is 5.5hrs to 6.5hrs depending on which way you are traveling and which trains you are on. Your thoughts aren't bad. There's a 7:58am train from Orvieto to Venezia Mestre with a local from Mestre to Venezia Santa Lucia that takes 4hrs. 45min. You don't change trains between Orvieto and Mestre. You go through Florence but you don't stop at the main Santa Maria Novella station. Here's the Sample Schedule. A Eurostar back into Florence takes 3.0hrs. Florence to the CT is just under 3.0 hrs. I can make better comments if I know where you need to go from the CT.

Posted by
400 posts

Thank you so much....this information is just what I've been looking for. We are flying into Rome but my son and his wife want to leave Rome for the last (their favorite, so we will right away be heading for Orvieto. After the CT, we take the train to Rome for 3 days and then back home. I don't want to go open jaws because it is more expensive and you can't fly non-stop into Venice from Chicago. Even though it is much more expensive to fly non-stop, with the airlines the way they are, we don't want to take any chances of getting this once-in-a-lifetime trip messed up. Thanks again for the info!

Posted by
6898 posts

Your still OK. A journey from Riomaggiore to Rome takes between 4.5hrs and 5.5hrs depending when you leave and where you change trains. Only 1 train change necessary. On this run, you don't go into Florence. Instead, you go straight down the coast and then turn into Rome. Here's a Sample Schedule. Have fun.