Please sign in to post.

itinerary question

I need some help with logistics of our itinerary. After visits to Venice and Florence, we will spend 3 nights in Rome. We plan to depart Rome on the morning of 10/4 and were thinking of stopping in Pompeii on our way to Sorrento, arriving in Sorrento in the afternoon when our hotel offers a free shuttle from the train station. The following day, we will take a tour of the Amalfi Coast, then the next day, plan to visit Capri. We will then head back to Naples via ferry on the 7th and spend the afternoon/evening in Naples before we fly home early the next morning. Does this sound reasonable? I understand that we can check our bags at Pompeii, and since it is "on the way", I thought it might be a good use of time, without any backtracking etc. Any feedback or alternate ideas would be appreciated.

Posted by
109 posts

I think it is doable, but may leave you wanting more of the Amalfi coast. If you are flying out of Naples this seems the most logical way to do it. I have never done the ferry to Naples but I like the idea. Also, seeing Pompeii on your way to Sorrento is the best way to do it in my opinion.

Posted by
106 posts

Thanks Linda. We have booked a full day private tour of the Amalfi Coast so hopefully we will get a good dose of it and if not, I guess we will just have to return again in the future!

Posted by
106 posts

It has been suggested that I should skip Capri and just do Pompeii as a day trip from Sorrento. I have heard such wonderful things about Capri, and figured that since we cannot check into our hotel in Sorrento until 3pm, we should do Pompeii on our way from Rome. We know we are packing alot in to our visit but we don't mind getting up early and going all day to see the sights. We are also going to pick only 2 or 3 "must see sights" in each city so that we leave time for wandering and doing the various walks suggested. We also realize that there is not much to sightsee in Sorrento so our evenings will allow us time to absorb the atmosphere and in Naples, the same really applies as there are no "must sees" on our list there. We realize that Capri is pricey but it sounds like a great day to us Any thoughts from those of you out there who have done this trip?