Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Order

Hi everyone! I'm planning this trip to Italy with my family; husband (been to Europe once) and 2 in-laws that have not been overseas at all. I'm working on the itinerary and would like to fly 'open-jaw' in and out of Rome and Venice (3nts each). My initial thought was to start in Rome...but maybe starting there is too overwhelming? Or would ending the trip in Rome be just as overwhelming/tiring? (the middle of the itinerary includes 3nts in the CT and 4 nts in Florence/Siena)
Thanks for any help! :)

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks, guys! I was thinking that the day we arrive in Rome (if that's what we end up doing), we'd go to Ostia Antica, for sun and fresh air to beat that jet lag without getting overwhelmed by Rome in the first day. Would that help? (I'm having better luck with good flights into Rome vs. Venice, and I think I'd rather have getting there more seamless than on the way home)

Posted by
1201 posts

It really is six of one and half a dozen of another.

Some people like the hustle and bustle of Rome first off to get them in the swing of things. Others like the slower pace of Venice first.

What may be a deciding factor is departure time for your trip home. Sometimes leaving from Venice can involve an extremely early flight. Mostly when you connect to the overseas flight some where in Europe.

So run your flights both ways and see what you come up with.

Posted by
15585 posts

When I first read your query, my reaction was the same as Ron's. Then I started to mull it over and changed my mind.

You will probably be jetlagged and tired on arrival, so the first day of sightseeing can be a bit of a blur. Just for that reason, I'd start in Venice. Day one - soak up the atmosphere, grab front seats on the vaporetto and ride up and down the Grand Canal - and again after dark. Maybe just take in one site and have a lazy lunch. Every little street in Venice is picturesque, you can enjoy just wandering through, stopping as often as "needed" for a coffee or gelato. Or pop into one of the many churches you pass, and sit for a few minutes and admire - every church in Italy is a museum. For me, Venice is much richer in atmosphere than Rome, while Rome has many more sights and, as you say, many of them are overwhelming.

Then on to Tuscany, CT and end in Rome. I don't think you will be as tired when you get to Rome at the end of the trip, as 2-3 days in CT should be pretty restful.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!

Posted by
1201 posts

OK, turning off my be diplomatic and let them decide mode.....

Venice, smaller airport, magical city, also a great place for not doing anything at all except eating and drinking.

Delta has some direct flights from JFK and Atlanta that arrive fairly early in Venice. Give yourself plenty of time on the first leg from Denver to connect to the overseas flight. Last time we went we almost missed the flight because of delays and I had stuck in a 3.5 hout layover in the US gateway.

Posted by
1018 posts

I would fly into Venice and home from Roma because the return flights from Venice leave EARLY in the morning and getting to the airport can sometimes be a costly event.

You did not mention how many days in total you will have to travel in Italy. Keep in mind that the first and last day will be totally lost to getting there and returning. Also, the second day you may have jetlag. We always go to bed upon arrival and sleep a few hours because we cannot sleep on a transatlantic flight. Since you will be traveling with in-laws they may need a less busy schedule because traveling can be exhausting. We always plan a little down time for r&r. Another item you must consider is navigating around strange towns and between cities.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
251 posts

Many good points are made, but I would actually land in Rome and depart from Venice. I know you will only be there for a couple of weeks, but at least when I travel I always have more energy to see more sights, visit museums, etc. at the beginning of my travels and like to wind down at the end. Venice is much more of a place to take strolls, wind down, relax, and soak everything in from your trip than Rome is. So, I'd personally save it for the end..

Posted by
1914 posts

Ostia Antica does involve a lot of walking from the train, to the site, and then around the site. They do have a restaurant where you can sit down, but otherwise mostly walking. It might be ok for the first day, but you'd be kind of stuck if you felt that you needed to lie down. I get very jet lagged, so staying closer to the hotel to give me that choice would be a better option for me.

Posted by
15585 posts

I didn't find Rome overwhelming, just lacking in any of the atmosphere that every other place I visited had. For me (I am sure lots of folks disagree, and my experience was limited), Rome is mainly a city of individual sights, which are not particularly close to each other. A lot depends on what you want to do while you are there. If you are huge museum, art and architecture buffs, Rome will be tiring, and you will get little enjoyment out of your first day or two there, if you are right off a transatlantic flight.

Try to plan your first day of touring to be near your hotel, with the option to omit things, or take an afternoon siesta. You don't say what time of year you are going - the heat can be brutal in the summer - or what day of the week you arrive. For instance, the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel are closed on Sundays; Saturdays are usually crowded with locals who work during the week, and Monday with tourists (most museums are closed on Monday).