Please sign in to post.

Itinerary, opinions? (October 2024)

Hello! I’m planning a trip for me and my girlfriend for this October. It will be both of our first times in Italy…

I was hoping to get everybody’s opinion on the itinerary that I’ve currently come up with.

October 13: full day in Venice
October 14: half day in Venice then train to Florence and Half a day there
October 15-16: full days in Florence. Take the latest train to Rome.
October 17-18: full days in Rome.
October 19: day trip from Rome to Pompeii and Sorrento (238 total for 2 people).
October 20: full day in Rome.
October 21: flight leaves to go back home at 7:00am.

Any suggestions on potential changes You would make? I’ve tried to do as much research as possible, but hearing opinions on that itinerary from people who may have actually been would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
4988 posts

Woah, woah, woah.
Way too many destinations, you'll be seeing trains and train stations.
Kudos for your efforts. But, you have seven nights. Your incoming flight may be greatly delayed.
Choose two locations.
The AC is undoable on a short timeline, due to the neglected infrastructure and how difficult it is to move about.
So I'd advise Venice and one other location. That way you'll enjoy Italy and want to return.
Safe travels!

Posted by
11350 posts

Rome and Venice, more than enough. Or Rome and Florence. Our first trip to Italy was two weeks, Rome, Florence and Venice.

Posted by
3197 posts

It seems a bit much for 8 days. I would suggest not spending a day in Sorrento and Pompeii and adding that to Venice. Do you really want to take a late train (as late as 10pm) to Rome? Your luggage would be a hassle. Stay that night in Florence and take an early morning train to Rome instead.

Posted by
7 posts

It is definitely a rushed trip, but we really don’t think we’ll be able to go back anytime in the foreseeable future. This is more than likely and once in a lifetime trip for us.

I plan to propose during this trip, which is why I really want to do Venice. And since this would be more of an engagement trip, one of the things she really wants to see is Pompeii that’s the reason for the day trip.

I had read a lot saying that Rome, Florence and Venice were doable in around seven days. We are both 26 years old and very active so going constantly wouldn’t bother us a lot. I know we can’t do everything, but those three cities are that we really wanted to spend some time in

Posted by
6439 posts

Looks like 8 nights to me:
Venice 1 night
Florence 2 nights
Rome 5 nights

I'd stick with 2 locations. If flights are set then Venice and Rome
Venice 3- 4 nights
Rome 4-5 nights.

That day trip is going tot be long and exhausting, mostly spent in a van or bus. I would rather see you visit Pompeii and Naples for the Archeological Museum. I like Sorrento but there is really no reason to go there.
Actually JUST Pompeii would be enough!

Can you share which tour company this day trip is with?

Posted by
236 posts

Sounds like you'll have a great time!

Here is RS take on itinerary (matches your pace)!

Italy Itinerary
By Rick Steves
So much to see, so little time. How to choose? To help you get started, I've listed my top picks for where to go in Italy, and my plan for your best three-week trip. (This list excludes Sicily; see my separate recommended Sicily itinerary.) Of course, not everyone has jobs or lifestyles that allow a three-week trip, so make a plan, prioritizing according to your interests and tastes. If you're passionate about Renaissance art, linger longer in Florence. Exploring Italy's hill towns could soak up a week. For mountains, make tracks to the Dolomites. And if you've always wanted to ascend Pisa's Leaning Tower, now's the time for the climb.
Depending on the length of your trip, and taking geographic proximity into account, here are my recommended priorities:
:
4 days: Rome, Florence
6 days, add: Venice
8 days: Cinque Terre
10 days, add: Siena
13 days, add: Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast
16 days, add: Milan, Lake Como (Varenna)
19 days, add: Padua, Volterra, Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio
21 days, add: Dolomites, or slow down

Have fun!

Posted by
6439 posts

I plan to propose during this trip, which is why I really want to do
Venice

That is fantastic and a lovely place to do it!
Congratulations!
Venice needs more than 1 night. You will barely be over jet lag before you are getting on a train to leave! Folks that don't give Venice the time it deserves- ( at least 3 nights) come away not liking it at all. You want GOOD memories of Venice if that is where the proposal takes place.

I'd stil drop Florence from this trip.

but we really don’t think we’ll be able to go back anytime in the
foreseeable future. This is more than likely and once in a lifetime
trip for us.
We are both 26 years

LOL- You are young! I predict you will return- perhaps for your 25th Anniversary.

Posted by
6439 posts

4 days: Rome, Florence 6 days, add: Venice

I don't care whose itinerary recommendations these are- this is ridiculously fast paced.
Assuming "4 days" is 4 nights this is 2 nights Rome, 2 nights Florence which equals 1.5 DAYS in each city.
If It's Tuesday It Must Be Belgium vibes.

Travel shoud not be a Bataan Death March.

Posted by
6439 posts

one of the things she really wants to see is Pompeii that’s the reason
for the day trip.

Instead of Pompeii- consider a visit to Ostia Antica- just outside of Rome, easy to get to, take a picnic, spend half day.
https://www.ostiaantica.beniculturali.it

If you must visit all 3 cities- The Holy Trinity-
then divide your time a bit differently and I would take early am trains- a lot easier. Taking evening trains means you will need oto find a place for your luggage unless you are staying in a hotel.

Venice 2 nights minimum
Florence 2- 3
Rome 3-4 drop Pompeii- see Ostia Antica if you have 4 nights in Rome

Each location change eats up at least half a day.
2 night stay equals just 1.5 days in that location
3 night stay equals 2.5 days
etc

Posted by
236 posts

Rick Steves itineraries are fantastic! Of course as folks go for repeat trips to Europe and as they age, they want to slow down, But for folks who are young and energetic, they are great! Rick Steves is an expert! His tours are incredibly good and use the same pace and they get rave reviews! I love them myself. I just came back for one and we spent 2 nights at each stop. Everyone loved it-- including the 80 year olds!

Of course there is nothing wrong with going slower and I see folks on these forums who are old pros with dozens of European trips and great insights-- they are no longer into survey trips. They are into savoring. Which is also great! I love slow trips myself too!

Happy travels!

Posted by
432 posts

You are 26 years old. It's a first trip in a lifetime, but not likely the only trip of a lifetime. There will be more! Congratulations on a monumental life moment. Of course none of us responding have the stamina and energy or would want to pull off the "really rushed, fast paced, trying to cover too much, but we're young" trip you are planning. Assume that someday you'll return to the place where it all began. Savor the moments, not think we have to check this off our list and say we saw it! No matter what you decide, have a marvelous trip!

Posted by
15643 posts

To be clear, a full day means waking up in that place. If you land on Oct 12, the 13th is a full day, otherwise, at best you have a half-day after getting through airport rigmarole, the slow boat to the island, then a slow boat to near your hotel. The only thing that goes fast in Venice is time. Unless you're staying near the train station - not a bad idea for a short visit. Then you can take the airport bus, much faster though less scenic, than a boat, and you'll need little time to get to/from the station. If you stay near San Marco, for instance, it will likely take an hour or more to/from the train.

Unless you are really into Renaissance painting, sculpture and architecture, give more time to Venice and less to Florence. Venice is romantic, once you get away from the crowds, especially in the early mornings and the late evenings. And since it's slow-paced, it's the best place to relax, get over jetlag, catch up on sleep and soak up the atmosphere. If you don't want to spend a lot of time in Florence's art museums, you can see the highlights in one full day.

There's plenty to see in Rome. If Pompeii is a really high priority, then take a day trip there (you can do it for much less than 238 ($ or euro?) and don't bother to waste time going all the way to Sorrento. It really isn't worth it. You can get a good idea of what ancient Rome was like in a half-day trip to Ostia Antica. It's much less crowded, takes much less travel time and if you want, you can add a half-day at the nearby beach.

Currently on a train from Venice to Florence. FYI, the museums in Florence are all closed on Mondays. So stretch your Venice time instead of heading to Florence on a Monday! We stayed at the Excess Hotel which was incredible- but about a 15 minute walk from San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. The service, rooms and gardens were incredible and it would be a very romantic destination. There was a half bottle of Laurent Perrier in our room on arrival, among other lovely touches. The owner is fantastic, I’d reach out to her for ideas on proposing in Venice.

Posted by
253 posts

I think this definitely can be done by young and energetic travelers, but agree that it would be good to try to get a bit more time in Venice. If your girlfriend really wants to see Pompeii, then go there (especially since hopefully she has just accepted your proposal!). Don’t try to do Sorrento too, though. Obviously I know nothing of your personal circumstances, but 26 is a bit young to be talking about a once in a lifetime trip to Italy. I first went there as a college student in the 1980s, and have since returned at least eight times, despite many of the usual things that can limit travel opportunities (buying house, parenthood, grad school, establishing career, etc).

Posted by
86 posts

Just did 8 crazy nights in Italy with two older teens and did even crazier with my husband at 26. I can't comments on all your specifics because I din't hit all of these - landed Rome, 3 nights orvieto, 2 nights venice, 3 nights florence (and a day bus trip to cinque Terre) kids choice, I would've done lucca but we made all of this work)....

As a family, we had 20 year stretch of "easy travel." I completely understand your motivations - career, children, other obligations and expenses can have impact. I treated this Italy trip like I'd never get back and envy the people on this board who seem to get there annually. You know you, and likely know what you can handle in terms of jet lag, etc...we wrestled bags everywhere, we took a lot of trains. getting from orivieto to venice was a drag on the trains, but it rained the entire day -- would've been a bust anyway... just pack light and smart.

otherwise, we did a day and a half in venice and while I'm sure we missed stuff we enjoyed what we saw - focus on quality over quantity. followed a list in ricks steves book that almost worked completely.. in .florence we also followed ricks two day list and added a few things. I only wish we saw sunset at piazza Michelangelo, we could've squeezed in last night but we did run out of steam on last day....

are you proposing in venice at ai babacani? if so, its adorable and super close to the hotel Santa marina. the Juliet balcony table seems to very popular for proposals. we enjoyed out meal there....wishing you lots of luck

Posted by
329 posts

October 19: day trip from Rome to Pompeii and Sorrento (238 total for 2 people).

Take the train and go to Pompei on your own, skip Sorrento.

Posted by
236 posts

Sometimes less is more. Sometimes less is just less. And sometimes too much is never enough!

Are you a carpe diem sort or a carpe "I wanna take a nap before I retire for the night" sort of person? Alas, I am becoming the 2nd type! (Which is also nice!)

Have a great trip!