Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help (post cruise)

Hello all,

my wife and I are travelling to Italy in a few days and will spend a few days in Rome, a few days in Venice before heading onto Ravenna to set sail. We've never been to Italy before. We've got all that lodging and travel plans booked. What I need your help on is where to stay after the cruise. We come back to Ravenna on a Saturday morning super early and fly out of Leonardo da Vinci on a Monday afternoon. So we need recommendations on places to stay for two nights.
We were thinking of trying to find a more relaxed spot (after having spent days on the cruise), close to the water so we can dip our toes in. We also want to be close-ish to a train to take us back to Rome and ultimately the airport. We'd ideally leave early Monday morning to get to the airport several hours before our early afternoon flight.
Ideally budget wise: we want to have fun but not go over-board and spend tons of money.

We are considering a few different places and wanted some help from the experts because we don't know what we don't know. We were debating about somewhere on the Adriatic Sea side (the right side of Italy) such as Ancona, Pescara or anywhere in between. Or we can jump on the train and head to the left side of Italy (the Rome side) and stay somewhere on that side.

Thank you!

Posted by
15826 posts

I am Roberto but I'll be frank.
You only have two nights and to make your flight you should spend your last night in Rome, so IMO you have little time to Roam around the coasts.

The coast from Ravenna to Pescara is not so spectacular except for maybe near Numana/Sirolo, but you'd need a car there. The other side on the Tyrrhenian Sea, would be nice near Mt. Argentario in the Maremma area, but there also a car would be advisable..

I suggest you head to Rome upon disembarking and spend your two last nights in or near Rome.

If you must absolutely be near the water, and you have already visited everything there is to see in Rome before the cruise, then you could stay those two nights on the coast near the airport. Ostia, Fregene, or even Fiumicino would fit the bill. Not that great of a beach, but the better alternatives are too far and you need to make that flight.