Please sign in to post.

itinerary help please!!

Here is rough itinerary for April 2018. Fly into Naples and will drive to Positano ( I have read pros and cons of car but we have decided to rent one. ) 5 nights in Positano which we will use as base for Amalfi coast. then, 2 nights Capri. We then plan to drive back to Naples from Capri stopping at Pompeii, spending night in Naples and flying out the next day. How does time sound at each locaton and is worth adding one more day at end to spend time in Sorrento and leisure ride back to Naples and spend the extra day touring Pompeii. Thanks

Posted by
4105 posts

Positano 5 nights... Good.
Parking in Positano and other Amalfi Cost towns...bad.
Expensive. Figure 3€ per hour.
To reach Capri, suggest you drive to Sorrento, drop car and ferry to Capri which is an island, car will not help here. 2 nights Capri... Good.
Then either ferry to Sorrento or Naples to spend night. Visit Pompeii Scavi from either one.

Posted by
1949 posts

Boy. If Gerri's figures are right, you could be spending 140€ in parking fees for your car sitting there during your 2 nights in Capri.

Look, it's not impossible to drive on the A.C. And in April you've at least got a fighting chance of avoiding gridlock. And someone with more experience than I will have to comment on the feasibility of driving up in the hills above the A.C., to places like Nocelle or Ravello.

Posted by
4878 posts

The itinerary looks OK. Renting a car, not so much.

Posted by
4416 posts

If you are determined to have the car on the AC, that is not a disaster (though costly and likely a hindrance). But do more research into taking it onto Capri--as I suspect it is a very bad idea indeed. For sure you don't want to drive it through Naples upon return!
You will be limited to longer car ferries instead of hopping on a catamaran for one thing.

Posted by
91 posts

I should clarify that we will not be taking car onto Capri. We will leave in Sorrento? and pick up on our return. We are planning to drive straight to airport upon arrival in Naples to return car. Grab hotel shuttle back and travel on foot for remaining 2 days

Posted by
4416 posts

Good!
Then I would check to see if you can do a rental car pick up at Naples airport and drop off in Sorrento (Salerno could also be an option for rental drop off). That way you can avoid having to return to Sorrento. So, Naples airport--drive to Positano--drop car/catamaran to Capri--catamaran to Naples, taxi to airport.

Posted by
4105 posts

24H parking should run 40€
But parking in the other towns will be about 3€ per.

Why not do this. Drop the car in Sorrento. Visit Capri. Return to Sorrento. Utilize the Circumvesuvian to Pompeii and Naples. Take the Curreri Viaggi Bus from Sorrento when leaving to go to either the airport or Napoli central. Cost for the bus ( really a coach with luggage underneath) is 10€. Time is 1:20

Edit. Bus site. Tape upper right for schedule.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/eng/index.php

Posted by
91 posts

Thanks for the replies. Based on suggestions I think we will return car in Sorrento prior to Capri.

Posted by
15585 posts

I didn't always find parking in February, so plan on extra time to look for or wait for a parking place - and maybe having to park some distance from your destination when tootling around the coast. I also recommend parking in Amalfi town and taking the bus up to Ravello. I tried to drive it and turned back about halfway up - I'm pretty experienced mountain roads but that one was too winding and too narrow for my comfort level. Also beware of following the buses too closely. When they meet at narrow points and turns, one of them has to back up . . . and so do all the vehicles behind them, yep on those narrow winding hilly cliffside roads.