Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help, Late March/Early April 2024

I'm planning to visit France and Italy, travelling with my husband and two teens. We have a total of 14 nights. We're arriving in Paris 8 am 3/20, and heading to Caen. Planning to visit Normandy on 3/21 then head into Paris for 4 nights.

From Paris, we'll head to Venice for two nights (3/25&3/26). I had planned to leave Venice and travel to Salerno for 4 nights so that we can visit Pompeii (maybe Herc) and Paestum, but I'm concerned about the weather. Is it too early in the season? Will we miss out on getting to experience the coast? Is it possible to visit Pompeii as a day trip from Rome instead? We are planning to stay in Rome for three nights, flying home from Rome on 4/3. Any suggestions?

Posted by
3618 posts

I suspect you will hear this a lot, let me be the first. You are trying to cram too much into too little time. As far as I can see, you will have just 3 days in Paris, and just one in Venice. NOT enough for either place.

The Amalfi Coast weather may indeed be unfavorable; and if so, there is little to do indoors. Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Paestum (except for the museum) are outdoors. I’d save them for another time. My preference would be to limit the trip to one country. However, if you insist on 2, you could add a day to Normandy, one to Paris, one to Venice, and one to Rome.

Posted by
2344 posts

hey hey
go back to the "drawing board" and redo itinerary. you are trying to stuff all this in a round hole with a square peg
either italy or france, not both. hotel
check ins are 3-4pm and check out 10-11am
no time given for time to train travel and what it takes.
aloha

Posted by
2734 posts

This trip sounds a little busier than I would like, but it’s totally possible to do Paris, Normandy, Venice and Rome in 14 days. I wouldn’t add in Salerno and I know nothing about the weather at that time of year. Pompeii can be done as a day trip from Rome, but it will involve a lot of time on a train or bus. Most people here say not to do Pompeii that way, but we did it and I thought it worked well.

With your itinerary, you won’t get to see anything in depth, but you’ll have enough time to get the essence of four fantastic places and see a lot of wonderful sites.

I hope you have a great trip whatever you decide.

Posted by
5063 posts

Do you realize you'll be in Venice coming into Easter? We did that a few years ago, and the city was packed! The vaporettos were shoulder to shoulder, even in the evenings. The crowds didn't get really bad until Good Friday, and I think all of Italy is off work on Easter Monday. Also, some businesses are closed Easter Sunday and Monday, so you'll need to check the websites. I luv Venice, and if you're not doing the big sites, and staying away from St. Marks Square, you could have a great experience wandering the back canals.
I agree with above, you are trying to do too much in 14 days. Traveling between areas will take significant time.
The transportation infrastructure in southern Italy is underdeveloped, shall we say, so moving around the Amalfi Coast is tedious and there is no quick and efficient mode, whether it's public transportation or private driver.
The ferries are weather- dependent. We were in the AC this past May when they experienced unprecedented rain, and it was a challenge in poor weather, as it's an outdoor experience.
Kudos for planning this family outing. Perhaps trim the itinerary a bit and come back with more questions. Safe travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks all for the reality check- you busted me, I am indeed trying to cram a lot in to a relatively small amount of time. Based on your feedback, I am planning to cut the AC and add a day to Venice and more time in Rome. If the weather is favorable, maybe we will take a day trip from Rome to Pompeii. Off to finetune my plans, and then will come back here once I've smoothed it out a bit. Thanks again!