Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help - June 1-9, 2012

A group of us will be traveling to Italy for the 5th time. We have the first 11 days planned but the last seven (June 2-9) are up in the air. We land in Milan and will be heading to Lake Como for 5 nights, Venice for 2 nights and Orvieto for 3 nights. On day 11, my son (who has never been to Italy) and his friend will be arriving in Rome. Will probably spend only 2 nights there to see the highlights (for their benefit) and then ???? Here are the things that I'm looking for: 1. Based in a town that has enough action for two 25 year olds that's accessible on foot or at close to a train station. That way they can come and go as they please. 2. Located close to Milan as we are flying home from Malpensa Airport. 3. Prefer not to be based in a large city. 4. I've visited many places in Tuscany so would like to see other places that I've not seen. I would appreciate any suggestions. Trying to narrow it down is very difficult. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
174 posts

We loved Verona. With a Verona card you can ride the buses free, which makes getting to and from the train station easy. And trains run to Milano constantly. Great walking city but small enough to be accessible all over. You can also hop a train to Padua or a bus to Lake Garda, both very close by. And we managed to spend four days there without getting sucked into seeing Juliet's (fake) balcony.