Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help...

Hi, I am planning a trip for my family of four and would love some insight/comments/advice about our intinerary! My husband and I are early 40s. We have a 14-year old daughter and an 11-year old son. We are going to see the Women's World Cup Final in Frankfurt prior to heading to Italy so jet lag won't be a problem. Day 1 of Italy...day train from Munich to Venice. Heard great things about the scenery. 2 nights in Venice Train from Venice to Florence. 1 night in Florence. This was difficult for me to cutback from 2 nights to 1 since Florence was my favorite city on my last visit but...kids! Renting a car for 1 night at an agriturismo in Lucca and then another night (at a castle!) just outside Siena. Driving to Rome (airport to drop off the car).
4 nights in Rome. Fly home. Any suggestions/insights? Our kids have been all over so they are used to traveling and being on the go but I know to limit their museum time :)

Posted by
153 posts

They'll love Lucca and Siena then, minimal museums. Siena has a great vibe. Il Campo is really great. We grabbed a cup of coffee on one of the patios that overlooks and just relaxed for a half hour. The Duomo is quite spectacular too. Didn't take the museum tour, but I hear it offers nice views. Lucca was a lot of fun. We rented bikes and trekked around for a couple hours. Torre Guinigi was really cool (it's the tower with the trees and garden on top). We went to walk around Lucca's arboretum and found it to be rather boring and not worth the price of admission. Monteriggioni is a fun diversion near Siena. Have fun.

Posted by
7737 posts

When is it you'll be there? That will influence the suggestions.

Posted by
1446 posts

Why drop off the car at the airport?
Why not drop it off in Orvieto? It's a one hour easy train to Rome and you avoid all the traffic near Rome. My suggestion.

Posted by
27 posts

@Michael, we will be there from July 19 through July 28.

Posted by
27 posts

@Diane, thanks for the tip! I will look into that.

Posted by
23 posts

I second the suggestion to drop off the car at Orvieto - and see another hill town! The Scavi tour at the Vatican is impressive. The tour ends inside St. Peter's. It MUST be booked ahead by emailing the Vatican - also purchase a timed ticket for the museums - make sure you get in the correct line - (see RS book.) Buy a Roma Pass for unlimited 3 days bus and metro travel, and admission to 2 sites including the combined ticket to the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum (there's a shorter line for Roma Pass holders.) Buses run so frequently (Via Nazionale is a main thoroughfare from Termini to the Vittorio Emanuel to a few blocks from Piazza Navonna/Pantheon - and on to Trastevere and the Vatican. It's so convenient just to be able to hop on and off and save steps. Another Rome highlight were the Christian Catacombs - we did the Catacombe Priscilla, not the ones out the Appian Way. RS guides says they are more "intimate." We took the city bus (directions from the Roninrome website.) The sights in Venice are Venice itself with gelato in hand! You need a map in order to wander in an orderly fashion to see all the sestieri or you are liable to go in circles (we did) I don't think one needs to do any museums here, but highly recommend St. Marks Basilica. See RS guidebook about tip for going to the front of the line. Don't forget to cross the grand canal on a traghetto!

Posted by
27 posts

@Merrill, thank you for your info! I will definitely look into all of your suggestions. My husband is really looking forward to all of the history in Rome...I know he will love the Scavi tour. I just tried to change our car reservation from Rome to Orvieto but no luck :( (We are getting a good deal through Hertz (work points, etc.) and the Orvieto Hertz office is closed on Sunday. I may try and book through another site depending on cost. Anyone know if any of the Orvieto car rental agencies are open on Sundays? Again, thank you to everyone for all your responses. They are appreciated !