Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help...

Trying to decide how I want to spend my 13 days in Italy. As of right now the plan is to stay in Rome for the whole trip, but take a few side trips here and there. For example we were planning a day trip to Naples and Pompeii. Is there enough in Rome to keep us occupied for those 13 days? Or should we stay in Rome for a week or so then move locations to Florence or somewhere like that? Me and my girlfriend are both inexperienced travelers when it comes to Europe (first time for the both of us). I'm thinking it would be easier to just stay in Rome and then do some day trips. What do you guys recommend? I know I'll be back to Europe and specifically Italy so I'm not really worried about missing out on not seeing certain cities.

Posted by
10344 posts

Finally! Someone who doesn't want to turn their "vacation" into an endurance contest!

Rome is one of the great cities of the world and has enough to give anyone with an interest in food, drink, photography, people-watching, exercise (walking, stair-climbing), history, architecture, and art busy for a month, if not a year or lifetime.

You've already told us:

"I know I'll be back to Europe and specifically Italy, so I'm not really worried about missing out on not seeing certain cities."

Having said that, probably 9 out of 10 people on this board don't spend their entire trip home basing in Rome. Because you're doing something different than what they have done, you can expect to get some messages trying to talk you out of what you want to do.

But I say, stick to your guns and original instinct and plan, which are a refreshing change from the usual itinerary we see here.

Europeans, who tend to have more vacation time than most Americans, often vacation more in the way you're doing, go to a place, settle down, stay, and--OMG--actually relax and get into the rhythm of local life. And wondering about these Americans running around frantically trying to see everything--with the Europeans maybe not realizing how little vacation time many Americans have, the extra cost to us of getting there, the exchange rate--all of which make many of us move faster than we probably would if we lived in Europe, were paid in euros, and had 4 or 5 weeks of vacation time.

You can do Naples & Pompeii as a day trip (a long one, but do-able), and you can even spend most of a well-planned day in Florence, as a day trip, getting a taste of the delights that Florence has to offer.

Posted by
1091 posts

Hi James,

13 days in Italy! You will have so much fun!

While I agree with many things that Kent has addressed, if it were me I would split it up into two locations. Maybe Rome, with days trips and then either Florence or Amalfi Coast with day trips.

From the Amalfi coast you can visit Naples, Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, etc.

From Florence you could visit Sienna, the Chianti area, Pisa, etc.

I personally like slower vacations with visits into the big cities, and staying on the outskirts. Agriturismos are a great way to go, especially in Tuscany and Umbria. But then again, I don't like big cities here in the US either.

Are you flying in and out of Rome? What are your and your girlfriends interests? Museums, food, nightlife?

Also, while it is a really great idea to plan everything out and make reservations in advance, you may change your mind once you get over there. Allow yourself some flexibility if you get over there and change your minds.

Have fun!
April

Posted by
32219 posts

James,

Given the fact that you have 13 days and this is the first trip for both you and your girlfriend, I'd suggest splitting your time between two or perhaps three destinations. That would provide you with some "contrast" between the atmosphere in Rome and that of some smaller locations in Tuscany. You may also find (as I have) that touring in Rome can be intense and tiring, so an "R&R" stop is an absolute necessity!

Using open jaw flights would be the most efficient (inbound Milan, outbound Rome?), but return flights to/from Rome would also work.

I'd suggest focusing on the north for this trip, except for a day trip to Naples & Pompeii. As Kent mentioned, the trip to Pompeii from Rome is "doable" but it will be a LONG day! You could consider spending one night in Naples to visit the Archeological Museum and Pompeii before returning to Rome. I'd leave the Amalfi Coast for a future visit, as it's worth a visit on it's own.

Other cities that you might consider are Florence (3 days?) and either Orvieto or Siena (2 days?). Orvieto is especially easy to reach from Rome so that could also be a day trip location. Depending on your interests, the Cinque Terre might be a possibility also, instead of one of the other destinations. Do either of you have any interest in Venice?

As always, since this is your first trip I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door before you go and also packing along a copy of the Italy Guidebook would be a really good idea. I find the country Guidebooks to be a valuable source of reference during trips.

Keep in mind that you'll "lose" the first day due to flight times, so account for that in your planning. You'll generally arrive in Europe the day after you departed.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
536 posts

Hi James - Here's an Itinerary I've used for many people taking them through Italy - Of course it is subject to any change you might prefer!
Three days in Rome to begin - I would suggest staying at Hotel Forte - 300 yards from The Spanish Steps - A great location allowing you guys to walk to The Trevi Fountain, Via Veneto, Roman Forum - also excellent restaurants right there.
The train station is a 5 minute cab ride - the only cab you'll need for this stay.
From Rome take the train To Napoli and then the hydrofoil to Sorrento - spend a couple of days exploring the Amalfi Coast - Sorrento, Amalfi, and Positano - then back to Napoli and the train to Florence - get a rental car - you'll need it - Mapquest will come with it or take your GPS with European maps. Explore La Cinque Terre ,Santa Margarita,& Tuscany Hilltowns - I would suggest getting a B&B in Tuscany as a base - Casolare di Libbiano is a Great One near San Gimignano. A week in this area!!
At the end you can either leave from Florence or Take the train back to Rome - If I can be of further help feel free to email me
Ciao, Greg

Posted by
676 posts

James, as you see people try to get you to do more. I say stay in Rome except, maybe do an overnight to Naples to see a bit of Naples/Pompeii/Herculaneum. That way you can spend a little more time there, but still essentially be "based" in Rome and really get to feel like you live in Rome.

Posted by
110 posts

James,

I would also suggest breaking the trip into Rome and Florence with side trips from those two places. Since you know you will get back to Italy you should take your time. Rome is a fantastic city, but Florence is equally as great. It really depends on what you want to see and do. Also, you could play it by ear and if you find you are tired of Rome then go some place else? When are you thinking of going? The Amalfi coast is wonderful.

Posted by
255 posts

James, I like the idea of a "slow" vacation also. That being said, 13 days in Rome with a couple of side trips may be just a little too slow. Have been to Rome twice for a total of 9 days and feel like I have pretty much seen and done everything that I want to.....and that included going back to the Forum, Coloseum, Trevi Fountain and St Peters on the second trip after having also seen them on the first trip. Would really recommend that you split your time between Rome and Florence. Florence is a great town also and day trips to Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano are very doable.

Posted by
12 posts

James

nice idea. there is nothing stopping you from taking mulitple day trips to the same city...if you really want to have your base in Rome. I would not do Naples and Pompeii on the same day. By the time we finished walking through Pompeii...we just wanted to get back to Rome and our hotel. I think you need at least 2 days to do Florence well and not get overwhelmed. Also look at the train schedules posted online http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

it can at least help you plan what is "doable"

Robert

Posted by
9422 posts

Lots of recommendations for Rome and Florence, which are both great, but if it were me, I would split the time between Rome and the Amalfi Coast (staying in Sorrento). There's nothing like a vacation by the ocean and it doesn't get better than the AC. Especially if you live in Ohio :)

Posted by
253 posts

I will admit I did not read all of the great suggestions above, so will just jump in and maybe duplicate what has already been said.

I would stay about four nights in Rome. Great city, but you should be able to see plenty in four days, and you won't regret missing some other great stuff.

Going down to Naples and seeing Pompeii is a great idea, but give it a two night stay, staying in Sorrento, NOT Naples, however. Beautiful town and closer to Pompeii and Herculeanium anyway. You won't be disappointed and it is a fairly easy jaunt down there.

Spend some time in a cute hill town north of Rome. My favorite, which is close to Rome, is Orvieto - a truly beautiful Etruscan hill town situated up on a mesa overlooking the Italian countryside. You arrive by train, then take the funicular (a tram) straight up the side of the cliff to the town. To me, this is never a daytrip destination, though that is what many do who stay in Rome, as it is only about an hour by train north. No, staying a night or two is so much better.

These two places will take off about four days, plus four plus in Rome, allowing you some additional days to see some other places as well.

We took a train, then a bus, out to Hadrian's Palace, which is now in a Roman suburb. Because of the travel, you need a full day to do it, though.

Posted by
11 posts

A few years ago I went to Paris for 10 days and stayed there the whole time. Not even a day trip to Versailles and it was one of the best vacations ever. I really felt like I got to see and experience that amazing city. This past summer I went to Italy for 18 days and "did" most of the main tourist stops (Rome, Florence w/day trips to other Tuscan towns, Venice and the Cinque Terre) It was a fabulous trip, not sure that I would change how I did it, but I definitely didn't have that same relaxed in-depth experience that I had in Paris. But I got to see and do a lot! Maybe if I were you I would meet somewhere in between. A week in Rome and 6 days in another location of your choice. Might be the best of both worlds. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks again everybody for the tips. I've booked everything already and we will be staying in Rome in October for the whole trip while doing day trips to Naples, Pompeii, Florence, and maybe Orvieta. So I think we will have plenty to do. I can't wait!