Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Looking for advice on what order makes the most sense to travel through the following areas. We are flying in and out of Rome early September 2024. Thinking of the following:
Venice - 3 nights
Tuscan countryside - 4 nights
Florence city - 1 night (thought we'd like to enjoy one evening out on the town in Florence and not have to return to countryside)
Cinque Terre - 3 nights
Rome 4 nights
We have not booked any accommodations yet so are open to suggestions about changing either # of nights in each location or the order of visiting these areas. We will rent a car only for the countryside portion of the trip otherwise we will take trains.
Appreciate any feedback from experienced travelers as this is our first visit to Italy.
Thank you, Susan

Posted by
27221 posts

Are you hikers? If not, 3 nights in typically-swamped Cinque Terre might be rather long. It will probably take at least 4-1/4 hours to get from there to Rome, so your first day in Rome will be only a half day.

Posted by
4878 posts

Have you considered flying into Venice and out of Rome? On our first trip to Italy several years ago, we landed in Rome jet lagged, had to get through passport control, ( are you checking luggage?), then from the airport to Rome Termini central train station, (almost a hour, ) then trained to Venice, (not a very scenic journey,) 4+ hours.
It was an exhausting day! Then we discovered open jaw tickets, flying into one city and out of another , which are usually around the same price as RT, and saved so much time.
Enjoy planning your trip,

Posted by
142 posts

Booking the rental car is an important step, especially if you’re looking to rent it in a small town where the agencies have fewer cars available.

We did a similar itinerary this spring, Florence-Tuscan countryside-Rome, and found 4 days in the countryside was worth it.

Posted by
11218 posts

I would take a night from the Cinque Terre and add it to Venice.

Posted by
4922 posts

I will echo Pat's recommendation that you get open jaw flight tickets (more frequently called multicity tickets). Fly into Venice and out of Rome. The price difference compared to RT Rome + train tickets, as well as saving you the time and hassle of getting from Fiumicino to Venice, is worth it.

Given that your arrival day in Venice will be jet lagged, I'd steal a day from Tuscany and add it there. And 3 nights in CT is more than you need unless you are diehard hikers. Take a night from there and add it to Florence. You definitely can't do Florence justice with only 1 night.

Posted by
4897 posts

We also think you should condiser flying into Venice and out of Rome. Venice is a great place to recover from jet lag compared to other places. Consider adding a fourth night to Venice to give you three full days. It is such a unique place it definitely deserves at least that amount of time. Your arrival day may or may not be a full day, and you may be in something of a fog that day anyway.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much for your replies. Unfortunately we booked our flights already in and out of Rome. Coming from Canada, it is very difficult to get direct flights and we really wanted to minimize risk of lost baggage, delays etc.
So, we definitely land in Rome in the morning and that is all so far.
We are not "hikers" but want to do some and wouldn't be opposed to getting up higher away from the crowds but would likely only do one day of that kind of a hike. Also thought we'd book a boat tour either during the day to get away from the crowds or a sunset cruise. Also a late afternoon/evening wine tasting.
I am starting to think 2 nights in CT is enough and will consider your advice on either adding the extra night to Florence or Venice.
Again many thanks,
Susan

Posted by
280 posts

Your plan leaves little opportunity to see any art in Florence. So many churches have many masterpieces by artists such as Donatello, Masaccio, Massolino and Ghirlandaio (in whose workshop a young Michelangelo apprenticed), and Michelangelo ... to name just a few. Or the Uffizi Museum. If this is a first trip, I would consider taking one night from the countryside and one night from Cinque Terre ... notwithstanding the crowds in Florence (even in September) ... and take in the birth of the Renaissance.

Posted by
4897 posts

You have only one night for Florence. Depending on arrival and departure times, that gives you precious little time there. That being the case, either take a night from another location (perhaps the Tuscan Countryside) and add it to Florence, or (horrors) drop Florence completely and add it to Vencie. Just a thought.

Posted by
487 posts

HI Susan,
I understand your direct flights dilemma. We will be doing our 2nd trip with direct flights in and out of Rome. My suggestion is to split up Rome, and move a couple of things around. We did this last year and stayed near the train terminal ( Termini) at the start, and explored that end, then stayed in the Avenito ( near Trastevere) at the end.

Rome- 2 nights
Venice - 3 nights
Maybe Florence 1 night ( personally I'd skip Florence with only 1 night and go to Lucca instead)
CT - 3 nights- yes it is busy, but it is beautiful and you can avoid the crowds if you stay overnight, and hike some of the lesser known trails. Consider Manarola as a little less busy
Tuscan countryside 4 nights- not sure of best place to get car
Rome- 2 more nights