Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

I am planning my 2 week honeymoon to Italy and thanks to the help of this forum I have begun to solidify man plans. So far it looks like this. Fly out of JFK to Rome and spend 3 nights in Rome. Possibly taking a day trip during that time. From Rome I would like to rent a villa/house using airbnb.com. I have found a couple great looking villas that aren't too expensive. My main question about the Tuscany region is where would be a central location that I can stay for 5-7 nights that enables me to take day trips to many different towns/attractions. From here I would like to visit one other area (cinque terre?) before heading to Venice to end my trip where I will be flying out of. My itinerary looks like this: Rome 3 nights Tuscany/Florence 3-4 nights Venice 3-4 nights ??? 1-3 nights My 2 questions are: 1.) Whats a good location to look for a villa rental that is central to multiple towns and must see attractions and
2.) Now that Rome, Tuscany and Venice are set in stone is there one other location that you would recommend besides Milan? Thank you for all of your past and future help!

Posted by
663 posts

Siena is good as a base for Tuscany if you have a car, otherwise Florence is your best option because you can get pretty much anywhere via train or bus. As for another location, that depends on your interests and the time of year. The lakes are gorgeous. Verona is lovely and has lots of history. I hear Cinque Terre is nice, though I haven't been yet so I can't give an opinion.

Posted by
22 posts

Thank you Angela for the info. I will look in to the Lakes region as it seems like I would enjoy that area of Italy. Andrew thank you for the flight info. Actually Newark would probably be easier but I was hoping to take a non stop flight. My credit is just ok and I tried to apply for the Capital One Venture card but was denied :(

Posted by
15598 posts

I agree with Angela, Verona's charming with lots to see. I would not even consider Milan. If you haven't yet committed to flights, I'd switch the order, flying into Venice and out of Rome. You'll arrive after a long flight and with a significant time change. In Venice you can soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the city while you "catch up." If you can't sleep in the morning, go to St. Mark's Square and watch the sun rise over the lagoon - magical. Ride the vaporetto lines and watch the city flow past - night or day, always beautiful always different. Go for a walk and get lost - you're never far from a major landmark and the side canals have a different charm. Rome is a big, bustling, impersonal city. Sights are far from each other and big. You need stamina to see them. It's probable that if you start there, you won't see much on your first day or so. 3 full days for the main sights is needed, without a day trip.

Posted by
951 posts

"Rome is a big, bustling, impersonal city. Sights are far from each other and big. You need stamina to see them. It's probable that if you start there, you won't see much on your first day or so". I agree with this statement strongly. I experienced extreme exhaustion when I was in Rome.....we packed Rome into 4 nights and found our itenerary to be completely intense. Since this is your honeymoon, I would take more time in Rome just so you can see it at a slower pace and really enjoy yourself. Rome was intense......craziest traffic I have ever seen. Try to cross that busy road, you might make it across without having a panic attack. So my advice is to add 1-2 more nights to Rome.
I spent 3 nights in Venice, I loved Venice....way more than Rome. So I would recommend the 4 nights there. Maybe add a couple more days to Tuscany? Siena was great, so was Florence.

Posted by
22 posts

My first plan was to fly in to Venice and out of Rome. I am really looking forward to Venice and I would like it to be the last leg of the trip but you are making good points so I may reconsider. Flying in to Venice and out of Rome is about $500 more expensive than the reverse so that went in to the decision as well. I am looking at non stop flights from JFK in NY. Back to the drawing board I guess!!

Posted by
663 posts

If you add the lakes or Verona to you itinerary, fly into Milan and do them first. Milan is the cheapest to fly into from my experience. Either place is about 1 to 1-1/2 hour by train from Milan. Then Venice, Florence/Tuscany, and finally Rome.

Posted by
21 posts

Zachary....try TAP if you don't mind flying out of Newark...they are one of the least expensive and they will fly you from Newark to Lisbon and Lisbon to Venice....then you can fly Rome to Lisbon and Lisbon to Newark. Also to make things better....if you have decent credit....apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card....it has No Foreign Transaction Fees and if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months you will get 40,000 Ultimate Reward Points which if you spend those on airfare through the website it will be worth $500 because when you use points and cash to book your airfare they give you a 20% discount.