Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

My husband and I are attending the Olympics in Paris and following our events would like to head to Italy. It's August so I know it's going to be hot and crowded. I am really interested in visiting Umbria as it seems to be quieter and more relaxed? I really don't want to rent a car, Can it be done? I was looking at flying to Florence and then taking the train and staying at Rastrello in Panicale for a few nights. Olive oil, cooking classes and truffle hunting. Then I am not sure where we should go following that...any suggestions? My husband is half Sicilian and has never been but seems that might be a bit of a pain to fly too. I am open to anything we're not exactly sit on the beach kind of people we love being outside, hiking and food.
TIA

Posted by
8297 posts

If you're wanting to get from Paris to Florence, flying is the best way to get there. The Alps are a great physical barrier, and Paris to Umbria is a long way.

Air France and Vueling are the only airlines flying that route. Vueling is out of Orly Airport. You need to buy the flights now.

An alternative airport would be Pisa, an hour west of Florence. Their Paris flights are on EasyJet out of Orly Airport.

Posted by
2 posts

We have around 8 days.

Yes, I was already planning to fly into Florence. I was implying I don’t want to rent a car during our time in Italy.

Posted by
4732 posts

I would choose either the mainland or Sicily for sure, but I am sure there are direct flights from Paris in August. In places like Umbria it is possible to visit without a car, but I think it is actually much more work than just renting a car. It is definitely a compromise. Look at your options on Trenitalia first.
Rome could be equally convenient as Florence.

Posted by
8060 posts

We had a trip to Umbria for 8 days cancelled due to COVID, but we still want to go, perhaps in 2025.
Based on what I found, we planned to stay in Perugia for 6 nights and then 2 in Orvieto (on our way to Rome).
There are trains or busses to just about any city that you would want to visit on a day trip from Perugia.

Assisi is another choice to stay, but I think the rail connections are not quite as good as Perugia.
Other places to see in Umbria would be Spoleto, Spello, and Gubbio. You won't need to rent a car.