Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help? 5 days in Amalfi coast & surroundings - Feb. 2017

Our family (kids ages 8, 10, and 12) will be traveling to the Amalfi coast area in mid-February 2017. We plan to fly in/out of Naples and likely use Sorrento as our base for day trips (based on suggestions from other posts). We do not intend to rent a car but instead hope to use train, bus, and ferry services to see the sights. We definitely want to make a trip to Pompeii, drive along the Amalfi coast, and possibly visit the island of Capri or the Greek ruins in Paestum. Herculaneum may also be on our itinerary. We are an outdoors family with lots of travel and hiking experience. What is the best itinerary to see the not-to-be-missed sights during our stay, and what is the best means to arrange travel for our day trips?

Thank you,
Emily

Posted by
381 posts

Since you are traveling in February I would check ahead to determine what is open and their possible shortened hours of operation. Also, I am not sure the ferries will be an option.

Posted by
1949 posts

Emily--

We'll be there not long after you, also staying in Sorrento. I think what you have to do, given that it won't be high season and fortunately you won't have to deal with making reservations or with crowds of tourists, that you should have a list of things to do and upon arrival figure it out on the fly based on the weather.

As you've no doubt researched, temps should range in the 40's and 50's, not bad. But if it's raining hard, you probably don't want to do Capri, Pompeii or Ercolano on that specific day. A light mist or on & off, grab your ponchos & umbrellas and go. Hard to wait that kind of thing out if you only have limited time. But there are also buses to the other side of the peninsula--the Amalfi Coast, train or bus to Naples, and then bus to Salerno and then train to Paestum.

But keep in mind that the A.C will be pretty much buttoned up for the season in mid-February as far as choice of restaurants, hotels, etc. Two years ago in early March we took the bus from Salerno to Amalfi-town, and the restaurant we lunched at on the water was their first day open for the season. The good thing, however, is that without traffic or tourists it was all the better to view the magnificent scenery. Definitely worth a trip.

Couple things--ferry to Capri will be hit & miss that time of year due to the weather. And if you haven't thought about transport to Napoli Capodichino airport, check out the Curreri bus--10 Euro per person direct from Sorrento station to the airport, takes 90 minutes. http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the info, Jay. I appreciate your comments about the weather. We know that we'll experience fewer crowds by traveling in Feb. but may also have fewer transit options and more limited hours of sites. It sounds like we may need to do our research of places to visit and then see how they best fit into the itinerary. I just hope the transit options are not too limited during the off-season? It seems like a bus may be the preferred method to see the Amalfi coast, but perhaps not for a family? Also, are there any specific places that you would recommend scheduling in advance, or is it truly off-season?

Posted by
1949 posts

I don't think there are reduced schedules for the SITA bus that goes between Salerno and the A.C. and then Sorrento, but you'll have to check out that schedule. I know, riding a bus may be not the optimum for a family of five, but it's cheap and the alternatives--a private driver or renting a car--would be much more expensive. Worth investigating, however. I also think the Circumvesuviana (CV) train runs normally that time of year between Naples and Sorrento. I wouldn't take the CV with luggage but for day trips it should be fine. There are plenty of threads on the CV 'experience', and its pickpocket possibilities.

Others will have to chime in on what's open in places like Positano in February, as we only made it as far as Amalfi from Salerno.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the additional help! I welcome others' suggestions regarding transportation options and itinerary.

Posted by
2193 posts

You don't say how many days you intend to be there. If you stay only in Sorrento, you will spend a great deal of time traveling to reach some of the destinations you have in mind. A better plan might be to spend part of your time in Sorrento (for the Amalfi Coast and Capri) and base in Salerno for Pompeii, Herculaneum and Paestum - it's midway between these sites and you could easily visit all of them from there.

Posted by
61 posts

I am new to this forum and I sought help also. I will be in Sorrento in July but I have booked with Aldo's limos for a day trip to paestum, Ravello Positano and Amalfi for the day.. I don't know your budget but the limo costs us 330 euros for the two of us as we don't want to be with others. It is @ 10-12 hour day. It may be ideal for you and the kids. We get picked up at 7 am from our lodging villa Monica in Sorrento.
I just cannot be bothered with getting on and off buses. Yes I know public transport will save us a lot of euros but as it is the end of our journey we just want to splurge a little. Hope this helps. And thank you to everyone who has helped me with various enquiries in this forum. 6 more months and we will be up,up and away

Posted by
1949 posts

Rocky--

That time of year, with throngs of teeming tourists and probably heat, to my way of thinking well worth it to be in an air-conditioned limousine on your own pace, with a cooler full of beverages! The SITA buses will probably be overrun most of the day, only tolerable early in the morning or late at night. However, in March they are an absolute pleasure, only half full at most on any of the runs we took.

Posted by
1829 posts

When not crowded the SITA bus ride is not only beautifully scenic but quite entertaining and may be a highlight of your trip, especially for your 3 children. Don't discount it as a negative, having to take a bus. I think a family of 5 would be able to sit together and enjoy the adventure.
I say this for a trip in less than high season, for July or August with the crowds and heat it could be an entirely different experience and one best avoided and paying private drivers starts making much more sense to me.

Not sure you have time for all of Pompeii, Paestum and Herculaneum ; but that is up to you to decide.
Would not want to miss Capri and think your family on a nice day would love taking the chair lift to top of Ana Capri ; you can take the chair lift back down or hike down and enjoy some amazing views.
However on a bad weather / cold day that could also be miserable so you really need the weather to work out and the ferries to be running to incorporate Capri into your plan.

Posted by
15607 posts

I based in Sorrento in February to do much the same as you are planning. About the only thing that was closed seasonally was the elevator from the town center down to the beach and ferry dock, so you'll have to climb the stairs I think. Many visitors complain that Sorrento is packed with tourists - well, in February the locals are out and about and definitely outnumber the tourists. I think it's a great time to be there.

I had no trouble traveling alone (single, retired woman) with luggage on the Circumvesuviana train to/from Naples, but I traveled in/out of Naples by train, so it was very convenient.

I used the CV train to see Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples (mostly the Archaeology Museum) on separate days. The train was never crowded but is was often late. Look for MAV in Herculaneum - it's a virtual experience on the main street between the station and the ancient town. I didn't have time for it, but another couple told me they enjoyed it. Pompeii would be very difficult in the rain - there's a lot of walking and some of it is difficult. I ended up seeing Herculaneum in the rain and it was fine. Stay within walking distance of the train/bus station. I didn't make it to Capri or the Amalfi Coast but the bus ride is said to be really scenic from Sorrento. In February I'm told the buses aren't crowded. You'll want to be on the sea-side of the bus (right leaving Sorrento, left returning). From what I've learned (I'm going next month to Salerno), there are buses from Sorrento via Positano to Amalfi and from Amalfi to Salerno. There's also a bus from Amalfi to Ravello.

February 14 is Sorrento's saint's day. There is a long procession during the day and a festive atmosphere. If you're going to be there then, plan to spend the morning seeing the procession from about 9 to 11-11.30. There were also lots of stands selling goodies, but that might not attract your kids who surely don't eat sugary treats. There were colored lights strung above the streets and the stands were open all evening too. The lights were already lit up on the 12th.

Posted by
7175 posts

1) Positano - by bus
2) Pompeii & Herculaneum - by Circumvesuviana train
3) Capri - by ferry
4) Naples - by Circumvesuviana train
5) Ravello & Amalfi - by bus

Posted by
4 posts

Many thanks to all for excellent suggestions and advice. We are very much looking forward to our trip next month!