Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

Thanks to everyone in advance! 2 weeks in Abruzzo, Sicily and Calabria next September. Not sure how long to stay at each destination? I will fly between Sicily and Abruzzo. Have family in Calabria and Abruzzo. Not sure whether we should start in Abruzzo or Sicily and Calabria. Was thinking of splitting time ? Thank you all so much. Karen ps flying into Rome

Posted by
2063 posts

I would schedule Sicily for the coolest time of your stay since it gets very hot in the summer.

Posted by
27401 posts

To me, Sicily alone is a 2+ week destination. I suggest reviewing a guide book to Sicily to see whether you really want to go there on this trip, given that you'll probably only have about 3 sightseeing days by the time you get there. It's a large island with many worthwhile destinations scattered all over.

Posted by
23 posts

Plan on seeing areas around Tropea, Taormina and a little Abruzzo which will be near Rome on this trip most like

Posted by
27401 posts

If you're only interested in Taormina/Mt. Etna and maybe Catania, it will be workable.

Posted by
4603 posts

We need more details. So, flights in and out of Rome--so you need at least one night in Rome, correct? Were you planning on more time in Rome? Are any other flights purchased? I would save Sicily so you can have roughly a week for Tropea including getting there, a week in Abruzzo, plus any time needed in Rome. I cannot imagine fitting Sicily into this time period.
Skyscanner is good for searching flights.

Posted by
23 posts

No,going to take connecting flight to Catania or Lamezia they day we arrive depending on itinerary. Was considering first few days in or near Tropea (possibly to start )and family can meet there. Next, Taormina Mostly interested in Taormina in Sicily and surrounding areas this trip. Then Flight to Abruzzo . we just added on and we will be closer to Rome for departure where we could get a driver. Have not booked any flights as I love this site and has been helpful in past trips. We have been to Florence, Siena, Puglia(loved) and Amalfi coast and last night in Rome last trip. First trip organized by tauck Bellagio, Florence, Venice, Siena , And Rome . Another time took cruise from Venice.
Again, thank you for your suggestions!

Posted by
4603 posts

No,going to take connecting flight to Catania or Lamezia they day we
arrive depending on itinerary. Was considering first few days in or
near Tropea (possibly to start )and family can meet there. Next,
Taormina Mostly interested in Taormina in Sicily and surrounding areas
this trip. Then Flight to Abruzzo . we just added on and we will be
closer to Rome for departure where we could get a driver.

So it could work like this. Arrive, kill a few hours at airport, take flight to Lamezia, transfer to Tropea, 4 days.
Train down to Catania (or drive or flight), 4 days
flight to Rome (not sure where in Abruzzo, but you mentioned being near Rome, so I assume not flying to Pescara), rent car and drive, 4 days
return to Rome, at least one night

This would be rushed but doable.

Posted by
23 posts

No you are right. Planning on flight from Catania to Pescara. Have not decided where to stay In Abruzzo . Depending on where, will get a driver or spend last night in Rome. Just starting research so nothing set in stone yet!

Posted by
23 posts

Which location would you stay the longest? Sicily or Abruzzo if you had to choose. Catania appears to only have flights to Pescara on Tuesdays and Saturdays

Posted by
4603 posts

Well I would eliminate one of the stops and only do two! But, to decide number of days, you must weigh the family obligations and what you wish to see in each place to ensure you have time to make each stop worthwhile.

Posted by
23 posts

Decided you are right! Can do Abruzzo next time in Italy but does Calabria have enough to see for 7 days? Looking at tropea for a base ?Does that sound good to you or do you have any suggestions for locations and/or 4-5* hotels. We saw a lot last time. Loved the Puglia region and stayed at Borgo Egnazia which was a surprise and the area a delight, My husbands family comes from near Catanzaro But after you suggestion decided maybe a week in Calabria (maybe tropea or Pizzo)and a week in Sicily would be better. Less hectic. Thank you I really appreciate your help. Karen

Posted by
4603 posts

I am a nature nut, so Calabria really appeals to me, but any time you can't fill in Tropea region could be added to Sicily, so it's a great plan either way. You also have more wiggle room with your Rome arrival and departure, and I doubt travel in small town Calabria will be particularly speedy. Have a great trip and tell us about it--info on Calabria is rare.

Posted by
23 posts

Yes, that is just what my friend said lol. Were in Puglia last trip so my connection just recommended Sicily and Umbria. Ty!,

Posted by
23 posts

If I have 11 nights to split between Taormina side of Sicily and Umbria region, which would you give the extra day too? Flying in and out of Rome. Ty

Posted by
4603 posts

Need more detail. Just assigning days without context means zip.
Three days for Catania, a day for Etna, a day for Taormina, a day for kismet???
Where in Umbria?
You've gone from Abruzzo, Calabria, and Sicily to Sicily and Umbria---I don't think you need a forum at this stage. I'd be knee deep in books. good luck!

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to the info received here, I contacted my agent and he suggested we should save Abruzzo ( we found out his cousin has passed away)for another trip. He knows our taste and recommended Umbria as my husband is not a beach guy and our cousins met us in Puglia on our last trip which was amazing. We want to stay near Taormina, few days in Tropea and somewhere in Umbria which he recommended Perugia. This will not be our last trip as this is our 4th in 6 years and intend when we retire to spend the summers in Italy. So far Sorrento is our favorite but have much more to see. Thank you for your help and kindness.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you! We have been to Campania 3x and Tuscany 2x. So far Campania is our winner with Siena second place.