Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

My son and I will be traveling to Italy next week. (Let’s hope all goes well and smooth). We fly in and out of Rome. Originally I was thinking we would spend 5 nights in Rome and then 6 nights in Sorrento and the final night back at the airport. I don’t really want to end with Rome because I will be tired by that point and I feel like Rome needs energy to do all the walking. I feel like Sorrento area is more relaxing and a great end to a vacation. Plus I want to spend the last night at a hotel near the airport because our flight leaves early. Originally I was thinking about this

Day 1 walk around Rome and get over jet lag
See Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps

Day 2 Colosseum tour (are they doing that still)

Day 3 Vatican

Day 4 cooking class in Rome

Day 5 day trip to Orieveto

Day 6 travel to Sorrento and see Pompeii along the way

Day 7 Capri

Day 8 Positano

Day 9 Ravello

Day 10 and Day 11 relax

Day 12 go back to Rome in afternoon for flight the next day

But now I’m wondering if I should go to Florence straight from the airport on Day 1. Stay there two nights. Then head to Rome for a three days. Then go down to Sorrento.

Is it better to have Rome as a base for a couple day trips like Sienna and Florence? Or is it better to add Florence into the itinerary?

Thanks for all the help.

Posted by
4445 posts

I would save Florence for a future trip--otherwise a nice plan becomes a bit compressed.

Posted by
2766 posts

I would use one of your Sorrento free days for Pompeii instead of going there on your way. It’s an easy train ride from/back to Sorrento. Our South of italy tour spent at least 3 hours (forgot the exact) at Pompeii and we didn’t see it all. A good guide at Pompeii is money well spent.

Posted by
6172 posts

As much as we love Florence I'd have to say skip it this trip. You only have 12 nights- trying to squeeze 3 locations-all with a lot to see/do- into 12 nights will not be relaxing. Florence is too far/too much as a day trip from Rome.
How old is your son? Would he really enjoy lots and lots of art museums in Florence?

I agree with just going to Sorrento- do Pompeii on its own day- maybe head to Naples afterwards for a pizza?
Not sure if Mondo Guides www.sharedtours.com are running yet but they are excellent. We did Capri and Pompeii with them and loved both. The tour of Pompeii was a full 2 hours, we then stayed another hour and still hardly scratched surface. We only left because it was raining so hard.
They also do an Amalfi Coast drive with stops in Positano, Amalfi and Ravello- that would be money well spent and put all of that on its own 1 day. Might also be nice to have others along to give you and son other people to talk to.

Rome- you will need to prebook entry to both Colosseum and Vatican. I would put something less taxing between those 2 days. Vatican is overwhelming and exhausting and so is Colosseum--especially in the heat!
I'd opt for a food tour over cooking class for some serious fun.

Same thing in Sorrento- 1 day tour, next day rest

Posted by
11211 posts

Day 6 travel to Sorrento and see Pompeii along the way

What do plan to do with your luggage?

Trying to squeeze Florence into this trip leaves you with lot of travel, and little 'being there' time.

Posted by
61 posts

I agree with everything that has been said… skip Florence for this trip and just concentrate on Rome and the amalfi coast. Also agree with putting a low key day between Vatican and colosseum, both are a lot more walking than you think and a rest between would be appreciated. Also, we really enjoyed Herculaneum as well as Pompeii, if you can fit it in. Much more detailed and interesting in my opinion and I would travel to your hotel first unless you have a rental car to keep your luggage. Also an idea… we did a day where we drove the amalfi coast, then ended up at some awesome Greek temple ruins - I think it was called paestum and that was a great day! But again, I think a rental car is needed. You will have a great time no matter what!

Posted by
4105 posts

There are two places to store your luggage at Pompeii, the first is at the Pompeii Scavi station.
Left luggage is located downstairs between the platforms (depositi Bagagli) cost is €8. The other is at the site itself, but if busy they may be full.