Please sign in to post.

Itinerary for September 2017

Hello,
I am planning a trip to Italy with my mother this fall and am having trouble deciding on where to go. This will be my fourth time in Italy and my mothers second. We have both been to Venice, Florence, Rome and Positano. I have also been to Viareggio, Portofino, Cinque Terre & Siena. Anyway, we are planning a 12 day trip, this includes 2 travel days from New York to Italy. We are trying to limit our destinations to three places maximum. Initially we were thinking Northern Italy and after some research this weekend we think we may want to also try to go to Lucerne Switzerland as well. I am interested in seeing Lake Como and Bologna and I know my mom really loves Venice. I am looking for advise on what works best logistically- we don't want to waste a lot of time traveling from one place to another- we are also hoping to see some areas that are different from where we have been before. And are also hoping to be able to schedule some day trips out of whichever ever cities we stay in. Any information and advice you may have would be amazing!!!!
Caitlin

Posted by
922 posts

My wife and I are in a similar situation. We have been to the same places you have and are planning an October trip (10 nights). We are flying into/out of Milan (was able to get super cheap airfare). I plan to spend a few days in Lake Como / Milan area 3-4 nights and then head to Bologna for 4-5 nights. From Bologna, we are going to take a day trip to Ravenna to see the churches and mosaics. We will also take a day trip for Modena/Parma for a food tour. We are not sure whether we will take an organized tour or just wing it. We are considering a day trip to Venice because we love it too! Our last night will be spent in Milan. We have 1-2 nights to fill and are considering Verona or Padua as another option in the Veneto.

Lucern seems to be an outlier for your wish list as it's 6 hour train ride between your furthest points - Bologna and Lucern (7-1/2 if you count Venice). This would effectively kill an entire day. If you really want to see Lucern, I would skip Bologna this trip and focus on Lucern, Milan and Lake Como.

Posted by
15612 posts

I loved Bologna, and it is really easy to day trip by train to Ravenna (fabulous early Christian mosaics and intact churches), Ferrara is worth a day, so is Padua. There are others, I just haven't been, so I can't recommend them.

I spent one night in Assisi and 3 in Orvieto on a trip between Bologna and Rome. In Assisi, I left my suitcase at the train station and took a small overnight bag up the hill to the old city. I think you could see Verona in a day between Como and Venice (there's luggage storage at the train station).

The simple truth is that there are lots and lots of great places to see in Italy. Whatever you choose will be great.

Posted by
483 posts

We are considering a similar trip with Piedmont in for Emilia Romagna. We are looking at flying in to either Venice or Milan. If Venice three days there, then to Como by rental car. If Milan, straight to Como. Couple days at Como then to Alba for several days, Aosta for a couple, Turin for two, and then possibly a drive to Florence for three if we didn't do Venice. Fly home from Florence or Milan. Early stages.

Posted by
2 posts

These is all great feedback, thank you! Has anyone ever been to Fasano in Puglia? Any thoughts??

Posted by
11613 posts

Puglia is a long way off for a trip that is mostly northern Italy. It's a beautiful region and deserves as much time as you can give it.

I would stick with Venezia, Bologna (daytrip to Ravenna), and Lago di Como.