Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Comments Please

Newly retired foursome planning on first trip to Italy with the following itinerary would love comments.

Sun 5/26 -5/27 FLY to Milan (Arrive Monday morning)

Mon 5/27 - Tue 5/28 WALK around Milan (Last Supper, cathedral, Da Vinci museum, art gallery)

Wed 5/29 - Thu 5/30 take TRAIN (3 hr) to Venice (St Mark basilica, Doge’s palace, Rialto bridge, Island of Murano)

Fri 5/31 - Mon 6/3 DRIVE rental car to Cortina d'Ampezzo (2.5 hours)
Travel in Dolomite mountains, Val Gardena, Ortesei, Bolzano

Tue 6/4 - Thurs 6/6 DRIVE (5hrs) to Lake District - stay in Varenna

Thurs 6/6 DRIVE (1.5 hr) to airport in Milan (Malpensa) FLY home

We like to walk in the mountains, so we have just planned an afternoon and morning in Venice.

Posted by
6976 posts

Looks fine

You will need tickets in advance for Last Supper-they are hard to get so if important must pay attention to release dates

Not sure you’ll have time for Murano

What time is departure flight?
I would not want to be so far from airport if flight is early in the day

Posted by
4732 posts

I would do one day in Milan and two days in Venice (also, doubt you'll have time for Murano otherwise). Otherwise, looks great to me.

Posted by
2533 posts

Some of your days are pretty full. Prioritize your must see sights and, if you have time, then do them all. But don’t give your priority sights short shrift by trying to do it all. Sometimes when you rush around, you don’t have time to appreciate what you are seeing. Your trip will be a blur. Where are you renting and dropping off your car? I agree with the previous poster as to cutting it too close for your flight home from Milan. My advice would be to start in Venice. Then rent a car at the Venice airport and spend time in the Dolomites. If possible drop off the car in Bolzano at the airport and then take the train to Varenna/Lake Como and then take the train to Milan and fly home from there. If you can’t drop the car off in Bolzano, then drop it off in Venice and take the train from there to Varenna and finally do Milan. I would also check what the snow/hiking situation will be in May in the Dolomites. We went in September so I can’t help you with that.

Posted by
11485 posts

Venice needs more time, 1-2 days more to see what’s on your itinerary.