Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advise/review for early March 2020 - 20th Wedding Anniversary

Hello,

My wife and I are heading to Italy/Paris for our first time and would appreciate some advise on our current planned itinerary.

Feb. 27-28: Travel from Vegas to Rome,
Rome: 4 nights,
Cinque Terre - Vernazza: 3 nights,
Pisa: 4 hour stop on the way to Florance,
Florance: 2 nights,
Venice: 3 nights (Anniversary night),
Fly to Paris,
Paris: 5 nights,
Fly to Vegas.

Anyone have experience traveling in early March? Assuming temperatures will be cooler, certainly no swimming. Hopefully not as crowed at key sights as it’s “off-season”. We are not huge museum buffs, however we’ll definitely hit the majors. We mostly enjoy exploring and of course great food from five star to hole in the wall.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

Posted by
870 posts

It can be confirmed on www.skyscanner.com that your flight decisions are spot on.

For only one full day in Vernazza you add a lot of travel time. Packing up in the Vernazza hotel and walking out of the one in Venice figure on 7.5 to 8 hours. I suggest you add the 2 nights to Florence. There is lots to see and do and several easy day trips.

Posted by
81 posts

I’d skip Cinque Terra, don’t think it will be that exciting in March and a time suck. Add it to Florence or Venice and you can always do some day trips. I have always enjoyed tours with Walks of Italy if you are looking for some walking tour ideas.

Posted by
391 posts

I agree that the weather at CT may not be good for walking and enjoying the views and terrain.

Look at places like Padua and Ravenna, which are in the direction of Venice.
If you really want the hiking, just dig into the March weather. They had trail closures several times this spring (I've never hiked there, so I dint' pay attention to the stories).

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the input from everyone surrounding Cinque Terre - Vernazza. This is my wife’s #1 destination. So I won’t be cutting it (How one stays married for 20 years) I understand that in early March the village will barley be alive, but based on what I’ve read surrounding overcrowding in peak season this might be the perfect place to take a vacation from vacation. We hope to be warm enough to just wander the villages and enjoy some great food with the locals.

Thanks again for sharing your insights. Anyone else have a thought or two on our other destinations? Must do’s etc.

James

Posted by
15560 posts

I'd switch the order. Rome > CT > Florence via Pisa > Venice. That will shorten your travel time since you have to go back through Florence to Venice, but you can go to the CT directly from Rome. It has the additional advantage of a relax time between Rome and Florence.

Posted by
15560 posts

Rome will have lots of tourists. I've been there 3 times in February and there were fairly long lines for the major sights. Buy tickets in advance for the Vatican, the Colosseum/Forum, the Borghese. There are bus/metro/tram passes for 72 hours and for 7 days. Rome is big sights are spread out. It saves time and legs to use public transportation. You may want to escape the bustle of Rome for a half-day trip to Ostia Antica (ruins from the same century as Pompeii). Plan a day for all-indoor sights in case of rain. It may not rain at all, but it's a good idea to have a Plan B. If you don't want to climb the dome of St.Peter's, the Vatican could be a mostly indoor day. You can wait and buy Vatican tickets 2-3 days ahead, if there's rain forecasted.

You should also by tickets in advance for the Uffizi and the Academia in Florence. In Venice, if you want to take one of the Doge's Palace tours (I like the Secret Itineraries tour), you should book that in advance.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the tip @Chani. I readjusted our order as you suggested. Saves quite a bit of time overall. Appreciate you making the suggestion and look forward to the train ride up the coast.

Posted by
616 posts

I love both Paris and Rome very much but due to the fact that central Paris is relatively small compared to Rome, I would spend 4 nights in Paris which will make 5 days and 5 nights in Rome.
In Italy I think you should try cucina povera, and fish in Venice. Cucina povera is savoury cooking done by village people full of herbs and fresh products and more authentic than 5 star hotel cooking, but of course without the stylish way of 5 star restaurants.
Yes, I would skip 5 Terre at this time of the year, really a waste of time. For sea bathing, better wait for at least April-May in Sicily and Southern Naples; May-June in Central Italy and June in Northern Italy.
Good weather would normally continue until October in Northern Italy and to early November in Calabria and Sicily.