Please sign in to post.

Venice to Rome Itinerary advice!

So I'm headed to Italy end of May/early June with my husband and 11 year old daughter. My husband has to depart sooner so we will see Tuscany and Rome with him then when he leaves my daughter is insistent on seeing Venice (I've already been there twice and would be happy to skip). So we essentially have 6 days to get up to Venice from Rome then back. I'm thinking 2 nights in Venice, then where? I've been to Florence. Would a night in Bologna and 2 nights in Ravenna then head back to Rome be cool? My daughter would love a day or two somewhere on the coast.

Posted by
3551 posts

If u are religious Padua and Asissi are wonderful. Verona is a great place to walk and admire well preserved roman relics , portico, fountains etc. Ravenna is just mosaics reallyand Bologna a university town.
If u can I think she would really enjoy Cinque terra.

Posted by
15576 posts

First, I wonder how warm the water will be at the north end of the Adriatic at the beginning of June (Ravenna). Ravenna is a lovely town and you can bicycle around. The 5th-7th century buildings and mosaics are a wow, but the town center is a several miles from the coast.

Posted by
15576 posts

I hit the button before I'd finished ☺

You might have a better beach experience outside Rome, perhaps near Ostia.

I like the idea of Assisi and/or Orvieto. Both are beautiful hilltop towns, very different. And I don't think you have to be religious to enjoy Assisi; I'm not even Christian and I loved it, lots of history, beautiful setting, great frescoes. Orvieto has some interesting sights too, especially the caves and the view from the tower.

Posted by
6 posts

I should mention we won’t have a car. We are already going to Orvieto, Siena and San Gimignano with my husband.

Posted by
4802 posts

What about spending the entire time in Venice? You will lose part of one day spent traveling from Rome to Venice. That will leave you five days -- one of which may be your departure day back to Rome(?). From Venice itself you can do day trips to Padua, Verona, Murano & Burano, and still have enough time for your daughter to experience Venice and all it's charm and uniqueness.