Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice...

This is our 1st trip to Italy (12 nights) arriving Venice July 6th, 2 nights. Then on to CT for 2 nights. I would like to take the train to Milan to see the Last Supper (store bags @ station) & then on to CT. Is this realistic?

Posted by
10344 posts

It's about 2.5 to 3 hours from the time the train departs Venice to the time it arrives in Milan, depending on if the train is on time (trains are sometimes significantly late in Italy). You need advance reservations to see the Last Supper, you'll have to work with them to get a time 15-minute time slot so it's not totally your choice. It takes about 1/2 hr to get to the church where it is, 1/2 hr to get back to the train station. Add to above the time to get to check out of your Venice hotel that morning, get to the Venice train station in the morning and wait for the train there. After you get back to Milan train station and wait for your train to the CT, the train time from Milan station to Vernazza station is about 3.5 hours. Most accommodations in the CT are the small family run type that often cannot easily accommodate a late arrival and if a late arrival is what you're going to do, it needs to be coordinated with them in advance, you don't want to show up at night without a reservation.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think that travel time to/from the church would take that long. So we need to be out of Venice early if we're going to do this. We're staying in Riomaggiore.

Then Florence 3 nights (we're picking up a car @ the airport), Agriturismo in Pomerance 3 nights & then drive on to Rome w/ drop off @ airport, stay 2 nights.

Do you think it would be better to drop the car in another city & take the train to Rome?

Thanks again!

Posted by
10344 posts

I'm allowing for the time for you to find and store your bags at the train station baggage check, then take the metro or tram to the Church, and to walk the last 5 minutes if you take the metro. Same thing when you return to the train station.A lot will depend on the time slot you are able to get from the Last Supper people, you'd want to call them soon (it's easier to call at the phone # Rick gives, rather than try to do it online).For dropping the car off prior to Rome, you can drop at the airport (I've done this) or drop at Orvieto and take the train to Rome--either way works.