Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice!

Hi, all! I am thinking of doing an Italian trip in early November (but open to other places, too!) I did a Ireland, Scotland, northern UK (Including London and surround areas) three-week trip last summer. Was incredible. I am not exactly sure for how long yet this one will be just yet...but at least a week - I would love your advice on where to go. I have been to the southern Italian coast, going from Milan to Pisa and traveling up the coast, stopping at cities along the way up through Nice. So I was wanting to explore the mid-northern part of Italy maybe, but are there other places you would recommend during that time of year?

I will be a solo traveler and looking to explore fun areas, so was thinking the Rome, Florence, etc - maybe spend 2-3 nights in one city, take a train to the next. Don't need to see every single Church along the way, more so to take in the city for the wine, spectacular views and the people! I want to stay in AirBNB's to experience the culture, food, wine. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

Posted by
10344 posts

If you haven't already done so, research the weather averages for November for your destinations, esp. in northern Italy (might be cooler than you think).

Posted by
16409 posts

Howdy there, PamFromDC!

This is the challenge:

Don't need to see every single Church along the way, more so to take
in the city for the wine, spectacular views and the people!

Well gosh, you can do these things in pretty much ANY Italian city so...?? And you may be more interested in the locals than they might be in you. Most of 'em will be doing the oridinary things we all do when we're not on vacation, and heaven knows they have MORE than their share of tourists to contend with! :O)

But the classic combo is the "Holy Trinity" - Venice, Florence and Rome - and you could do some day-tripping from Florence to Siena, Lucca and some locations in Tuscany. How long to stay in each? For starters you might look at 3 nights Venice, 4 nights Florence and 4 nights Rome, in that order. If you can't manage that amount of nights, then you'd have to decide which one you're least interested in to cut days from but that should provide enough jet-lag recovery + acclimation time in each place plus room in Florence for a couple of day trips.

All three of these cities are have their own unique histories, cuisine, regional wines and attractions so it's not as if you've done one, you've done 'em all, if that makes sense? Anything else you can tell us about your interests that might help us to make suggestions?

Posted by
8105 posts

3 nights Venice, 4 nights Florence and 4 nights Rome are a good suggestion. I might recommend another day in Rome, but that is good for a first trip to those cities.

In my opinion AirBNB's are great for families or large groups, but not so much for solo travelers.
When I run a check for AirBNB lodging, the available choices are usually not centrally located as would be an ordinary Bed and Breakfast or small hotel.

In Florence, check out the Hotel Balesteri, it's on the Arno and reasonably priced.

Posted by
872 posts

Hotels from www.booking.com. All the reviews are from actual guests. Flights on www.skyscanner.com. Check both round trip and multi-city. On round trips with only a few nights, it is expedient to head somewhere directly and stay in that city last.

Posted by
15773 posts

Rome, Florence and Venice are classics but I can't think of spectacular views except for hilltop or roof/tower top views of the cities themselves. And as others have pointed out, wine and people are ubiquitous.

Consider going to the southern coast (you went to the northern coast). Naples and the Amalfi Coast. The scenery is beautiful, not many churches, but there are Greek temples in Paestum and of course the ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum.