Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice?

We're going to Italy in mid-September for 3 weeks. It's my 4th trip to Italy, but Florence (my favorite place in Europe) is the only place we'll be re-visiting. We'll be using trains and busses only. Our interests include art (particularly medieval, early Renaissance, and Byzantine), monasticism, and early churches. I'd welcome any thoughts about our plan and any transit suggestions to the smaller sites: -Fly into Venice early Saturday morning and stay for 7 nights -Padua for 1 full day and night -Ravenna for 2 nights -the Sanctuary of La Verna (Tuscany) for 2 nights -the Monastery of Camaldoli (Tuscany) for 3 nights -Florence for 7 nights (with day trip to Citta di Castello and possibly Sienna or Prato... votes?)
-fly home from Florence

Posted by
361 posts

Squeeze in a day for Assisi, it is worth it.

Posted by
11363 posts

Sherry:
You are moving around a lot in the middle of your trip, but I think by "bookending" that portion with substantial stays in Venice and Florence, it won't seem so hectic. Still , wonder if a night in Padua is worth it since you can easily do Padua from Venice as a day trip. I think it is only an hour by train. And with 7 nights in Venice, perhaps that is possible. You can then take one night to add to Tuscany and move one less time. (Can you tell I hate the moving around? I love to see different places, but the relocation and repacking gets tiresome.) You can do a lot from Florence: Pistoia, Lucca, Prato, Pisa are all accessible by bus. I've heard about a walk from Fiesole that I'd like to do. You take the bus up there, have lunch or dinner, and walk back to Florence. If you are walkers, that might appeal. A week in Venice sounds devine! The whole of the Laguna is accessible. I came across a great feature on the less-traveled Laguna http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/feb/07/venice-lagoon-public-trasnport. Maybe of interest? Have fun!

Posted by
186 posts

I second the vote for Assisi, an amazing hill town which holds
so many of your interests!

Posted by
32919 posts

Padova is not an hour, just 26 minutes. An absolutely easy day trip from Venezia. Make reservations for the Scrovengi Chapel. Its worth travelling half way around the world for. Second, third, fourth, whatever - Assisi. And the village down th hill where it all started.

Posted by
1512 posts

RE your day trip from Florence. Of your choices we've only been to Siena so our vote is to go there. Great cathedral, baptistry, and museum plus some smaller churches. Il Campo is not to be missed and you can also climb the clock tower for a great view - although there's also a view from the Duomo Museum. We spent four days there and loved it.