Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice

Tentative plans for 5+ week trip to Italy/Switzerland/ Germany (mostly Italy) mid April-late May, 2021

For this portion of a trip (traveling by train), please advise about the best sequence:
(previous part of trip includes flight from US to Rome, Sorrento, Orvietto, Assissi (thinking we will rent a car in Orvietto and drop it off in Sienna)

Sienna

Florence

Bologna

Cinque Terre

Milan

Lake Como

(subsequent part of trip will include Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, Heidelberg, fly back to US from Frankfurt)

Thank you!

Posted by
7667 posts

Not sure the length of your trip, it seems to say 15+ week trip?

You indicate mid April thru late May 2021, so perhaps you mean five weeks plus only for the portion of your trip for the listed places?

I have visited all the places that you mentioned except Milan and Cinque Terre. We are visiting Cinque Terre next year. I understand it is overrun with tourists, so pick you town carefully. Suggest using TripAdvisor as one source.

Florence is wonderful and deserves minimum of 3-4 days there. More if you do a day trip to Sienna from Florence. Sienna can be done in one full day, but if you can plan on 2 days.
For Florence check out the Hotel Balesteri, on the Arno in a great location.

The Italian lakes near on on the Swiss border are nice and you can do Milan as well. Plan on 3 days for that area.

Bologna was OK, but we loved nearby Ravenna much more.

In Switzerland, loved Lucerne and Interlakken. Go up to the Yungfrau.

Consider stopping in Strasbourg, France as well as Heidelberg on your way back to Frankfurt.

As for your trip south of Rome, I would avoid renting a car while visiting Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi Coast. Also, you need 5-6 days for that area.

Posted by
16893 posts

With Bologna and the Cinque Terre being in opposite directions from Florence, visiting both introduces some backtracking. Otherwise, your order of travel is logical. You could easily visit Bologna as a day trip from Florence (40 minutes each way by train) to avoid changing hotels. I’ve been to Bologna and don’t put it top of my recommended list, so if choosing only one, then I’d choose the Cinque Terre.

Posted by
32750 posts

I think it must be One (5 week or a little more) trip.

I saw it as 15+ myself but then that doesn't work for an April and May trip.

Posted by
178 posts

My apologies for the type. I edited my question. We will be in Europe for 37 days total but may be able to add a few days if it makes a big difference.

Posted by
178 posts

More details about our still tentative plans (subject to input from helpful RS readers)

Fly into Rome

Rome--2 nights (we have been there twice before but giving ourselves a day to adjust, do a few things we missed or want to revisit)

Train to Sorrento

Sorrento--5 nights (we have done Amalfi coast but want to go to Capri & Pompeii plus just enjoy Sorrento)

train to Orvieto

Orvieto 2 nights--pick up rental car

Assisi 2 nights

Sienna 5 nights with day trips to waterfalls, thermal springs, other small towns drop rental car in Sienna

train to Florence

Florence--5 nights (maybe day trips by train to Bologna & Lucca)

train to CT

Cinque Terre--3 nights

train to Milan

Milan--1 night

train to Lake Como

Lake Como area--4 nights

train to Lucerne

Lucerne--4 nights

train to Wengen (thought this was preferable to Interlakken but open to input)

Wengen--3 nights

train to Strasbourg, FR

Strasbourg--1 night

train to Heidelberg

Heidelberg--2 nights

train to Frankfurt area

Frankfurt Airport 1 night prior to 9:20 AM flight to US

Posted by
178 posts

Just tweaked our itinerary a little (edited above) because it looks like it wouldn't be that difficult to add 3 days to our trip.

Still open to any input from helpful RS readers.

Which of these options is preferable?
3 nights Wengen
1 night Strasbourg

4 nights Wengen
skip Strasbourg and go directly to Heidelberg

Thank you so much for your help!

Posted by
27111 posts

I see that visiting Strasbourg between Muerren and Heidelberg doesn't require all that much extra train time--it's 4:33 plus 1:36 vs. 5:38, so just an extra 31 minutes. However, I wouldn't be in a great rush to spend just one night in Strasbourg, which has a good bit to see locally and is well-located for side-trips to Colmar and the wine villages. To me that area's the sort of place to spend multiple days.

Posted by
11156 posts

Add extra time to lovely Strasbourg. I am one of the posters who did not care for Colmar but loved the Alsatian wine villages.
Your itinerary looks very good. We have been to all of the places you are visiting and enjoyed them all. Siena is a wonderful base for exploring the Chianti region. It would benefit this part of the trip greatly to rent a car while there.

Posted by
6 posts

We have traveled in Italy and Switzerland many times, each time staying for 1-2 months. Over the years we have set a few rules that help us enjoy our trips. It's a lot of time and work to move from one city to another, so we have a rule to never stay 1 night unless it's to catch a flight home. If the city is worth the visit, we always try to stay 3 nights or more. Otherwise, it's a day trip from one of our cities we're using as a base. You're going to 14 or 15 cities in 5 weeks. That's a lot of moving, each time eating up hours and hours of valuable sightseeing time. For a 5 week trip, we would limit the number of locations to 5-6, maybe stretch it to 7. Most people try to do too much and yes, they got there, but what did they experience, what did they leave out, and how fast did that trip go?

Having been to Rome about 10 times, there's always another layer to experience. So we can never go for less than a week. But, we realize you're trying to do a lot with 5 weeks. Read Rick's book regarding Ostia Antica or my review on Trip Advisor. It's great and is worth a whole day.

We've been to Sorrento and Pompeii by taking a day trip from Rome. That was plenty of time. I haven't been to Capri, so if you're adding that as a day trip, that's another day.

Orvieto is a 2 night quick visit. That gives you a day to get there, a day to explore, and a day to leave. (Try to make a reservation at Trattoria del Moro Aronne. Try the nidi! See Rick's book.)

You may have a strong reason to go to Assisi and if so, do go, but it's a long way east, and then a long way back. It takes you out of the way. I think it's worth 1-2 hours. That's all the tours give it.

We loved Siena and spent a week there, but it was a relaxing week where we were able to walk to every gate, visit every sight they had, especially the Duomo, and just sit at the Fortezza every night and soak up the pace of the people. We took a day trip to the hill town, Montalcino, for a wine tasting. Your 5 days is good if you have plans. (If you get there, find All'Orto de Pecci for a great meal with locals down in a valley.)

Florence has so much to see, but crowds that make it difficult. Five days is low if you are also doing day trips to Lucca and Bologna. We took a day trip to Bologna because I always wanted to go. I was disappointed. Lucca is a very different experience. I love it there. Someone mentioned Ravenna. I can't get enough of Ravenna. See my review on Trip Advisor for a good route if you decide to go.

Cinque is over rated and over run. If you could make it a day trip, get there, take a boat to see the towns from the boat. Get off and visit one if you wish and move on. We stayed in Monterosso once, but never again.

Milan is wonderful for 3-7 nights. See the Duomo, walk on its roof, go to its museum, go to Sforza Castle, visit its museum, if you can get tickets (from home) see the Last Supper, go to the Monumental Cemetery (unbelieveable!), one of their art museums, and on and on.

Lake Como, I don't have an opinion.

Venice maybe next trip. We stayed a month twice.

Lucerne is quaint but everything to do has to do with the boats. See Rigi, Pilatus, or boat to Fluelen and walk the Swiss Path to a location for the boat back. Otherwise, less time.

Lauterbrunnen, not Wengen. The most beautiful valley in the world. Been 6 times, never less than a week. Take day trips to other hiking such as First. So much here, I'll never get it in!

Skip Strasbourg. It's nice, not the greatest take, but not for one night. Heidelberg is better.

Maybe you have two trips here. Happy travels. Hope I helped.

Posted by
178 posts

Thank you for such thoughtful responses! You have given me a lot to review and consider! I will most likely circle back with follow up questions.

Have to admit that at this time II am not sure the trip will happen given all the itinerary cuts that airlines are making into next summer but still planning and hoping we can make it happen.

Posted by
27111 posts

I think Assisi is worth considerably more than 1 or 2 hours. I guess that might be enough time to see the basilica if you aren't religious (though it's quite large), but there is at least one other religious site in (or just outside) the town, and the non-touristy medieval area uphill from the basilica is a wonderful place to wander around. I'll bet Assisi is really lovely at night; I day-tripped there.

Posted by
200 posts

We loved Bologna but I don't see it as a day trip type of place. To us it was a place to spend time and experience the city. Great food options and just a wonderful vibe. We can't wait to go back.