Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice

Hello! I am in the midst of planning a trip to Europe for my family (2 adults, 2 children 7 and 10 years old) for late June/early July 2020. I was initially planning to fly into Florence from SFO but the cost was outrageous (it was about $10-12,000 total or a ridiculous amount of credit card miles that we do not have) so I started looking at different options. Please note that we are visiting friends in Prague who we see every time we are in Europe so we are happy to deal with airport travel again to get up there.
I think one of the main reasons I am having issues is because when forced to use our credit card rewards points (which makes the trip affordable for us), the schedules are whatever the rewards website wants to offer which is definitely not all of the options if I were to go through somewhere like Expedia or book directly with an airline. I added London in basically because flying anywhere else was not generating very desirable prices or schedules, even into Rome was not great when I was forced to book it through my credit card miles website. UGH!!
Here is what I have come up with and I would love some feedback.

Fly roundtrip to London Heathrow using our credit card points. Stay 4 nights, get over jet lag, sight-see. Fly from London City Airport to Florence (it's a direct and inexpensive flight), stay in Florence for 4 nights. Take the train from Florence to Como and onto Bellagio via ferry, stay there 4 nights. Train into Milan, stay at a hotel that we know and like by the train station overnight, next day fly to Prague (on a direct and inexpensive flight). Stay in Prague for 5-6 nights. Fly from Prague back to Heathrow (on easy direct flight) and catch our round trip flight back home.
Do you think this is allotting enough time in each place? Any other advice? We do not have severe time restraints so we can switch stuff around or stay longer here or there but generally do not want to spend longer than 3 weeks on the trip, in the past that seems like the sweet spot for travel with our kids. Thank you!!

Posted by
1336 posts

How much time have you allowed between arriving from Prague and leaving for home?

What happens if your plane from Prague is delayed and you cannot catch your plane home?

I think I would take my 4 days in London in the end. If you miss your plane to Florence you can buy new tickets (since you say they are inexpensive), but buying new tickets home will probably be more expensive.

Posted by
2575 posts

I would take one night off Prague and take evening flight to London and stay at airport. Then next day take flight home.

Posted by
3112 posts

I know this suggestion involves one additional move, but why not split your time in London so that you're sure to be back in London for your flight home? If you were to do just 1 night in London at the end, you might stay in Windsor (it's near Heathrow) and see the sights there. It's probably just as efficient as taking a day trip to Windsor.

Posted by
4 posts

A couple of years ago, from Cleveland, OH, we flew into London, but flew out of Zurich, which was about $200/person cheaper than flying out of London. We also used award points. Zurich is so beautiful and the airport is super easy to fly out of. Plus it's closer to Praque. Since it's easier to travel throughout Europe via train/plane, check departing from different European cities rather than round-trip to/from London. We're actually doing Florence, Rome, Capri, Naples in May. Whatever you choose, have an awesome trip with the kidos!

Posted by
847 posts

I frequently fly round trip into London from the US and then fly EasyJet or RyanAir, etc. to where ever I am 'really' going. So I think your plan looks fine. I do agree that you need at least one (preferably) two nights in London before your flight to the US, and also a good idea to have at least one (preferably two) nights between your scheduled arrival in London and the flight to Italy. So that does mean splitting your time in London, but I don't think that's any big deal.

I also think it would be a good idea to see what you could find with an open jaw into London and then back home from somewhere that you could get to from Prague by train. If that worked then you'd just do all your London time at the beginning.

Posted by
15663 posts

I haven't been to Lake Como so I can't comment on that. There is much to see and do in London, never enough time. Florence is mostly art and architecture. Perhaps you could say more about why you chose that city.

Lastly, I would definitely want to spend the night before a long-haul flight as near as possible to the airport. There are so many things that can cause a delay resulting in a missed flight.

Posted by
7867 posts

Use Kayak.com to check for low cost flights.

Going in June, you will pay the higher fare for four persons. It should not be $10K for four.

Posted by
27393 posts

If you need an inexpensive place to sleep at Heathrow, I can vouch for the Premier Inn at Terminal 4. It's connected to the terminal via a covered walkway (about a 15-minute walk). Booking well ahead I have found rooms in the 50-pound range. I suspect they may not have a room that will accommodate 4 people, but even if you need two rooms, this will be an affordable option. The hotel is perfectly fine and relatively new.

Thank you to everyone for your helpful ideas/advice! I agree with your recommendation and we are going to fly to London the night before our flight home and stay the night at one of the airport hotels. We did the same thing when we flew to South America and it was really easy and broke up what could be a very long travel day. Happy Holidays!